Logo

What am i missing - Mariner 115 4 cylinder 2 stroke 2+2 tilt/trim system

Mariner newbie

I've got a strange situation. All of a sudden my trim tilt system stopped working altogether. However I did hear the relays clicking both in the up and down positions. After several days of trying to diagnose the problem I reversed the wires going from the remote controller switch up front to each of the quick connections (push together types) at the motor. Here is the history.
Scenario 1
1) The green wire from the switch goes to a green wire on quick connection "A".
2) The green wire then goes from quick connection "A" to the lower relay on the motor (I think this is the Down Solenoid)
3) The blue wire from the switch goes to a white wire on quick connection "B".
4) The white wire goes from quick connection "B" to the upper relay. (I think this is the UP solenoid)

I checked every connection to make sure that they were all making a good contact. The result in this configuration is that absolutely nothing on the tilt trim works.

Scenario 2
5) I then moved the green wire on quick connection "A"to the white wire on quick connection "B".
6) I then moved the blue wire originally on quick connection "B" to the green wire on quick connection "A". Basically just reversed the wires on the quick connects

Now everything works except the switch now lowers the motor in the UP position and raises the motor in the DOWN position.

I put the wires back to their original configuration per Scenario 1 and once again nothing works.
I then reversed the wires a 2nd time and everything works as per Scenario 2.

The upper relay was recently changed by a marine mechanic and it did work fine for several weeks. Any ideas why this would happen? Background information (Mariner 115 hp 2 stroke 4 cylinder 2+2)

I'm a marine newbie and learning everything I can possibly put my hands on. This one has me stumped. Just rewired the stereo system and finally got it working after puttering with it for a year. Turned out the inline fuse holders were faulty. I'm learning but doing it the hard way. My Seloc repair manual shows a picture of the two solenoids but the Down Solenoid is on top and the Up Solenoid is the lower solenoid. I've thought of moving the white wire from the TOP selonoid to the lower solenoid and moving the green and white solenoid from the Bottom solenoid to the TOP solenoid but am worried about what other problems I might introduce by doing this. The wiring gods have me baffled. Are you as confused as I am? Any ideas? All suggestions appreciated....

Mariner 115 4 cylinder 2 stroke 2+2 tilt/trim system intermittent problem

[/QUOTE]
A follow up. Went out this morning and tested tilt trim system again. Despite my earlier observations, again absolutely nothing, even with scenario 2 configuration. This leaves me to believe the problem is not with the solenoid but rather is with the tilt trim motor. I thought perhaps the brushes could be sticking so I had just enough room to get a screwdriver against the motor. Lightly tapped the end of the screwdriver with a hammer (3 times) and then tested. Everything working again. Now to find a shop that can change the brushes or at least clean out the tilt/trim motor. I think I've got the problem diagnosed at last. Will update this post once I tear out the tilt/trim motor.[\QUOTE]

I opened up the tilt trim motor and it was full of water. Lots of rust in there, took it apart and cleaned it with brake cleaning fluid. Put it all back together again and the motor is operational once again. Sent for an o ring kit to replace all of the o rings but I believe the leak was only around the tilt trim motor as the fluid in the pump is still red, doesn't smell burnt or anything, Unfortunately the trim release screw has busted off as it was seized and I was trying to open it up to get a good look at the fluid. Came across something called an easy out or screw extractor (sold at Canadian Tire in Canada) which uses a reverse thread to back out a stubborn screw. We'll see where that goes.

I opened up the tilt trim motor and it was full of water. Lots of rust in there, took it apart and cleaned it with brake cleaning fluid. Put it all back together again and the motor is operational once again. Sent for an o ring kit to replace all of the o rings but I believe the leak was only around the tilt trim motor as the fluid in the pump is still red, doesn't smell burnt or anything, Unfortunately the trim release screw has busted off as it was seized and I was trying to open it up to get a good look at the fluid. Came across something called an easy out or screw extractor (sold at Canadian Tire in Canada) which uses a reverse thread to back out a stubborn screw. We'll see where that goes.

"The easy out didn't work out at all. Just spun around in the hole I drilled (using the supplied drill bits that came with the kit). I then took it to my local garage and they drilled it out even further (almost to the threads). I went to pick it up and they said they couldn't do anything further with it. I've now taken it to a machine shop to see if they can clean out the threads (perhaps by using a chaser tap?). If that doesn't work perhaps they can drill out the entire threads, install an EZ Lok solid wall threaded insert) and then install a new trim release screw. Everything else on the trim tilt system seems to be working fine now (I coated the outside of the trim motor with Neoprene to stop the leaking). I hope I don't have to scrap the entire tilt trim unit because of the trim release screw." Anyone ever done anything like this? I'm worried about the leftovers from the old trim release screw messing up the rest of the tilt trim unit."

"The easy out didn't work out at all. Just spun around in the hole I drilled (using the supplied drill bits that came with the kit). I then took it to my local garage and they drilled it out even further (almost to the threads). I went to pick it up and they said they couldn't do anything further with it. I've now taken it to a machine shop to see if they can clean out the threads (perhaps by using a chaser tap?). If that doesn't work perhaps they can drill out the entire threads, install an EZ Lok solid wall threaded insert) and then install a new trim release screw. Everything else on the trim tilt system seems to be working fine now (I coated the outside of the trim motor with Neoprene to stop the leaking). I hope I don't have to scrap the entire tilt trim unit because of the trim release screw." Anyone ever done anything like this? I'm worried about the leftovers from the old trim release screw messing up the rest of the tilt trim unit."

"Got the tilt/trim back from the machine shop and luckily they were able to get the old pressure release valve out without damaging the motor further. I installed a new pressure release valve, put everything back on the motor and the tilt/trim system is working 100%. I'm amazed the tilt/trim motor didn't short out or cause any damage seeing that it was full to the top with water. Cleaned out the water and rust, buffed up the brushes and the solenoid, waterproofed the outside of the tilt/trim motor, replaced the pressure release valve and it runs like new. Spent $100 on everything but a whole lot cheaper than buying a replacement tilt/trim system."

Back