Logo

9.9 Evinrude water tube grommet

How to replace grommet between water tube and powerhead

ITYWF

Remove gearcase assembly

then remove power head

Then separate the inner exhaust tube from the power head

Remove the water tube and old grommet from the exhaust tube .

You may be able to get the power head off without removing the gear case first but getting it back together will be more difficult

While the gear case is off is a good opportunity renew the pump impeller and the drive shaft seals anyway

There may be some useful info in LeeRoys ramblings .... not much about 9.9 and 15 hp engines thats not in there

http://leeroysramblings.com/

Yeah I already replace the impeller put a whole new pump in it actually once you got it fired off not much water was coming out of Tell-Tale hole but there was a bunch of water coming out of the weep hole in front of the gear case so I'm assuming but that grommet between the power head in the exhaust tube is bad appreciate your info thank you

Yeah I already replace the impeller put a whole new pump in it actually once you got it fired off not much water was coming out of Tell-Tale hole but there was a bunch of water coming out of the weep hole in front of the gear case so I'm assuming but that grommet between the power head in the exhaust tube is bad appreciate your info thank you

Are you sure it's not just the tell tale that is blocked

Well I blew air through today air comes out of the pickup the lower unit Plus comes out that weep hole in front of the gearbox a lot of air comes out that's why I think it may be that grommet at the exhaust tube and power head

Possible also that you did not locate the water tube in the bottom grommet properly when you refitted the lower unit

Possible also that you did not locate the water tube in the bottom grommet properly when you refitted the lower unit

In agreement with all of Vic's statements. This one (the quote above) is a most common one as the water tube hitting the edge of the pump housing grommet causes it to fold over to make a very effective shut off valve as the tube is forced in.

Back