Logo

Tiller arm throttle fine adjustment doesnt affect idle speed

Onearmjack

Ok so i have a 1994 johnson 9.9 (J10ELERB)..and the idle/throttle fine adjustment on the end of thie riller arm doesn't seem to affect idle.....is anyone familiar with this type?....and is there a common problem when they do stop working?...I know my 68. 9.5 inside out...this type of fine adjustment. I have not seen..any information on this would be most welcome

Slightly different design to my '84 6 hp ( the stop button is combined with it) but I am sure works in the same way.

It is a very fine adjustment and needs quite a bit of twiddling to have much effect

Turn it counter clockwise and you will find that you can then close the throttle a bit further with the twist grip.

To increase the idle speed setting its best to open the throttle a little then turn the knob clockwise. Then you will not be able to close the throttle so low with the twist grip.

It adjusts the extent to which the throttle can be closed with the twist grip rather than directly adjusting the idle speed independently of the twist grip.

That is not an idle adjustment on the tiller. That is a throttle lock for trolling it prevents the throttle from backing off and losing speed.

That is not an idle adjustment on the tiller. That is a throttle lock for trolling it prevents the throttle from backing off and losing speed.

One arm jack is asking about the knob on the end of the tiller, #6 in the parts diagram below and described as "Idle adjustment"

As I said earlier it is the same arrangement as I have on my 8 hp ( Although the knob on that also incorporates the stop button)

My owners manual describes how to adjust the idle speed using this knob

It is the idle speed adjustment!

Some models have a friction adjustmen,t #23 in the diagram, which can be used to set a trolling speed in the way you describe .

49342.gif

Last edited:
Back