Logo

Rpm. For 70 3cyl

Winner couger

If I'm breaking the fourm rules sorry and this can be deleted but it doesnt seem like anybody replys in the prop section I have a 13-1/4x17 prop on my 79 70 that I damaged and wonding if I should change the pitch or not I'm seeing 5200 wot at about 26mph on a 18.5 foot runabout also wheres the best place to buy one and brand thanks

Personally or professionally... I was never a prop guy... BUT... the 1979 70hp Evinrude/Johnson is rated to hit its horsepower at 5000 rpm with its top rated rpm being 5500.

At your top rpm mention of 5200, my guess is that you're as close to perfect as you're going to get and to stick with it. Any change in pitch or diameter will certainly cause a drop in rpms or to exceed the top rated rpms... not good in either case.

If I'm breaking the fourm rules sorry and this can be deleted but it doesnt seem like anybody replys in the prop section I have a 13-1/4x17 prop on my 79 70 that I damaged and wonding if I should change the pitch or not I'm seeing 5200 wot at about 26mph on a 18.5 foot runabout also wheres the best place to buy one and brand thanks

26MPH is a little on the low side and is possibly related to the damaged blades.

As Joe said, you're in the right RPM range already at 5200 so there in't a need to change pitch. Depending on where you are you can probably find a shop that does repairs or just search the internet for some place near you or one that receives shipments.

As far as buying a new one.....you can do that right here on Marineengine.com. They sell Solas brand which I've used on my 9.9 and they work just fine.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/solas-propeller/

Back