Logo

90 Evinrude 150HP 2 stroke - Carb Primer/Choke inlet barb broken

zkidd91

CARB # 334331-AP

I Just bought a used boat that hadn't been in the water in 14yrs! fun fun fun...

When i tilt the outboard UP, I noticed some fuel spills out of the throats of the top carb. Reading some forums, i guess a little leakage is normal. That said, the amount i was experiencing made me a little uncomfortable so i decided to rebuild the carb.

When removing the carbs, I noticed 2 of the inlet barbs were broken. These are the inlet barbs that connect hose to the Fuel Primer/Choke cylinder. I also noticed the small fuel hoses that lead to those barbs were plugged with small screw. Now upon cold starting this engine, It does take a while (Sometimes up to 7-10 attempts at start) and i'm wondering if this might be part of the reason. Once the engine is warmed up, it starts quickly on the first attempt.

My understanding is that this inlet barb is a part that is pressed into the carb and may NOT be sold individually. But, because I usually like things to work the way they were intended, if I can, i'd like to get them fixed.

Is this a part that Evinrude/OMC sells individually?
Is there a company that you know of, in San Diego/SoCal, that may fix these? I'm also going to ask my local Evinrude dealer tomorrow.
Is it worth fixing in your opinion? OR, other than the hard/cold starts will the engine run as it's intended?
And lastly, what do the two last digits in my carb serial # mean? I noticed the top carb has a 'KO' suffix and the second and third carb have a 'AP' suffix.

Thanks for your responses.
This forum is amazing!

With the primer only connected to one carb it is not surprising it is difficult to start

The barbs are not listed as separate parts

Maybe if you have the workshop facilities you could drill out the remainder of the broken barbs and make two new ones to fit.

The engine will run Ok without the carbs being connected to the primer provided you can start it but you risk excessive wear and damage to the starter.
If you continue to operate like this plug the remains of the broken barbs and consider removing the redundant hoses, connecting the primer directly to the remaining good barb.

I don't know where you are finding the numbers and suffixes you quote . The official BRP parts catalog shows the same carb , part number 0432124, in all three positions

Here's the number that is stampled on the carb.
IMG_8495.jpg
With the 2nd and 3rd carb sharing the same number but with two different letters at the end. Probably nothing to worry about since you mentioned the catalog part numbers are all the same.
IMG_8496.jpg

Last edited:
ha! I found someone local that had some old carbs lying around. Was nice enough to take out a couple of the barbs and sell them to me! THANK YOU!
*note: They are easier to punch out of the carb from the inside out. Rather than pulling them out. They are easily broken when pulled out of the carb. :D
IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8503.JPG

ha! I found someone local that had some old carbs lying around. Was nice enough to take out a couple of the barbs and sell them to me! THANK YOU!
*note: They are easier to punch out of the carb from the inside out. Rather than pulling them out. They are easily broken when pulled out of the carb. :D

A lucky find.

Back