Logo

Questions regarding Mariner 5M outboard

1jzgte

Hello everyone, First time posting here but found a lot of good info browsing around and thought I might be able to get a little guidance with a little Mariner 5M I picked up yesterday. I've redone a couple Johnson 15s but never had the chance to mess around with Mariners so I jumped at the chance to pick this one up. I haven't figured out what year it is just yet so if anyone could shed some light on the year, I would appreciate it. The numbers are Mariner 5M, 6E3 S 120715. What I do know is it was made by Yamaha, is short shaft, and the parts for it fall under the Mariner 5C motor category. The year is what I am not sure of.

The second thing I found interesting on it is that I can't get it into reverse. It shift from neutral to forward just fine just not reverse. As I mentioned, I haven't had a chance to tear into yet but suspect it might be a linkage adjustment so plan on popping the grommet and seeing if the connection just slipped or if I may have something more to deal with. I did have a few minutes to loosen the bolts holding the lower end and as soon as I pulled it slightly apart, could smell gear oil though nothing dripped out. I've never smelled gear oil just by loosening a lower end before so that was intriguing and tells me its something to investigate further/change. When I was moving the shifter from neutral to forward trying to get it into gear (spinning the prop by hand as well) I found that even in forward gear, I can spin the prop in both directions which I have never experienced before and don't think is normal. Has anyone experienced that before? None of the other motors I have worked on have done that and lock into position when in gear I am interested in knowing if anyone has had that happen and if so, what the cause was. I did check to ensure it wasn't a spun prop hub either as that was my first thought.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from anyone that can provide input.

Well figured out the bulk of the issue. No oil in lower end at all. Was burned in there and found some rust. Its all bound up so its a complete rebuild on the lower end is needed. Good thing is the gears are in good shape when cleaned up so I hope it will clean up and function. Would still love to know the year if anyone knows.

If you can find the serial number, that might help; maybe it is part of 6E3 S 120715. Rebuilding the lower unit.......you have my admiration Gunga Din - lots of special tools, shims, bearings, seals, etc.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree; to pull the stator I had to buy an 18" breaker bar, a flywheel holder, a flywheel puller, stator, stator wire ends, wire nippers, end crimpers, blue loctite.....oh yes, paradise; went around the neighborhood looking for flywheels to pull!

Back