Logo

Throttle body fuel injection.

Mike29

Contributing Member
Just lightly thinking about running throttle body fuel injection. Most units I'm looking at need an O2 sensor in the exhaust. Was thinking about manufacturing a piece to fit between my log manifold and the elbow to mount the sensor. Any thoughts on this? I should say they are the 454/350 horse motors.

Last edited:
When they used the TBI units on standard production engines, back in the 90's, they were running in an open loop configuration - no O2 Sensor required. If you wanted to do it and run in a closed looped manner, you'd need the O2 sensor...like many of the new MPI units.....

I don't think its worth the effort to go to a TBI setup.....MPI maybe - if you can get the parts 'lightly used' for a decent price.

overall cost benefit trade would suggest you are better off keeping the q-jet....

I'm thinking you are right Mark. A member on my boat forum got back to me on his fuel numbers and its really not worth the money to do it lol.

I'm thinking you are right Mark. A member on my boat forum got back to me on his fuel numbers and its really not worth the money to do it lol.

I just had both my Holleys rebuilt (1992 454XL's) and the improvement was awesome. Even after sitting a couple of weeks, both engines start right up without any throttle pumping, idle smooth as silk and acceleration was noticeably better. I had considered the Holley EFI kits but decided the cost wasn't worth it. Would rather put that money towards a generator.

If you have the motors out, you can tune them on a dyno with the Holley or FAST EFI system, tune the unit with an O2 on the dry, close the loop, and run the system in your boat without an O2 sensor. That said, if you want all of the benefits of the system, you're a lot better off running it with the O2 sensor.

Within the last year, they recently came out with a 1" riser extension plate that has an O2 bung in it, making it a lot easier to install.

Back