Logo

Mercruiser 4.3MPI oil leak

shanz_2008

Hi

I have 2 engines mercruiser 4.3 MPI year 2007.
When I bought the boat 4 years ago both engines were leaking oil from between the timing cover and oil pan. Took both engins out and changed the timing covers and oil pan gasket.

One of the engines is ok till now but the other one still leaks oil, I took it out 3 times and change the timing cover and the oil pan gasket each year.
Last year I bought a new oil pan and changed it too but with no result, now at end of season it leaked again.

I alway bought after market timing cover and oil pan gasket from mercruiser dealer.

Does any one have any advise or if I can do any thing else.

Thanks in advance
Clive.

Is there a groove in the crank from the oil seal? If so, it will continue to leak. A Speedi-Sleeve over the crank fixes that; you can also space a new seal 1/8 inch further in or out so that it rubs on a better spot.

Jeff

i built 2 engines a few years back and both leaked from the right side where the timing cover meets the oil pan. this drove me insane, the issue i found was i was using a composite timing cover and it was not meeting up properly on the engine block
are you using composite or metal covers?
what year are the engines?
do they have counterbalance shafts?

so, if they have balance shafts, you will need the composite covers,
here is what i found after talking with my machine shop friend.
put the timing cover on using ultra grey gasket sealant, put plenty on, in the area of the block/pan, cover. install the oil pan at the same time so the sealant sets up all at the same time, let the ultra grey dry at least for 24hrs it should seal things up for you.

Back