Logo

VP XDP woes

DALV57

Hello everyone,
Thank you for letting me join.
I'm hoping to get some help with my 2005 Rinker 270 with the shunned XDP Drive.
We have enjoyed the boat on Lake Champlain since it was new and decided it's time to move on.
I have had no problems with the drive and changed oil, bellows, gimbal and u joint as needed.
Never had a issue getting parts or with performance.
We had a buyer early summer, with check ready, and then he called 3 VP dealers and was told to run from the boat, which he did.
Since then I have tried everything I could to move the boat, trade for boats, cars and list with broker.
Looks like I'm stuck with this boat unless I change the drive. I even called VP but they said to bad, go to dealer and you get reduced cost for new drive.... about $12k I'm told.
I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money for a boat that runs great.
So.....
My question is: could I get an adapter plate and install a mercruiser drive?
I'm so disappointed in VP that if i have to spend money on a drive to sell the boat, i won't spend it with them.
Thought some of you might have some experience or advice.

Sorry for the long first post.
Regards,
Dalv

So.....
My question is: could I get an adapter plate and install a mercruiser drive?
I'm so disappointed in VP that if i have to spend money on a drive to sell the boat, i won't spend it with them.
Thought some of you might have some experience or advice.

Sorry for the long first post.
Regards,
Dalv

Other than this being the XDP, going from V/P to Merc would be a step backwards.
If you were to do this, you would not need an adapter plate.

Here is Volvo Penta's offer:
http://www.marinepart***press.com/xdpupgrade.html

And yes..... that is a rather expensive thing to do, especially if simply trying to sell the boat.

Suggestions:
Continue trying to sell the boat.
Perhaps discount the boat.

In a boat that size and value I would stay away from a jackalope half VP, half merc creation. unfortunately even though you have had no issues, that drive is dead man walking from not only industry perception, but also spares availability. I think you either have to drop the prices such that the buyer can not only afford the conversion, but also get some compensation for handling the change out... or probably better for you (except financially) bite the bullet, do the conversion and hope the get your money out if the boat sale.

A simple formula to help cope with the idea of boat ownership:

First understand that boats are NEVER investments.... they are always Expenses, much like snow skiing, white water rafting, camping, Mexican vacation, etc. We simply use the cost up in the form of family entertainment and enjoyment.

Let's say that your bought your boat in 2005.
From 2005 until now is approx 14 years.

Let's say that you paid $30,000 for it.
$30K divided by 14 years of enjoyment (minus fuel, insurance and maintenance) equals a cost of $2,143 per year, and that's if you simply throw it away after the end of 14 years.

Now let's again say that you paid $30K for it.
You enjoyed the use of it for 14 years.
But this time, you were able to sell it for $10K
$30K minus $10K = $20K

$20K divided by 14 now equals a cost of ownership of $1,429 per year.

What else can you do for only $1,429 per year???

Back