Logo

95 4.3 lx Alpha 1 gen 2 Y pipe swap. Extra 12 point bolt??!!

LakeBoaterNC

New to I/O's..... Removed the Y pipe about a month ago, now just putting replacement on and I have a 5th 12 point bolt..... Y pipe just took 4... My old brain cant remember where 5th 12 point went.. any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Got a mischievous friend?

Jeff
LOL... Doesn't everyone have at least one mischievous friend? To the best of your knowledge, is there a 5th 12point bolt used in the Inside of the hull that I could have removed when pulling the motor and changing the Y pipe? Thanks.
It may have been in the bilge before i started..... I didn't remove any bolts from the outdrive other than the nuts, covers,clips and the pin. Thanks, Again.

Reminds me of my slip neighbor who had the opposite problem with his Merc 4 cylinder 4 stroke OB. Pulled the manifold off, changed the gaskets, then was a bolt short putting it back on. I was a hero when I spotted the problem: he used the bolt to plug the open gas line!

Jeff

Older y pipes had 5 bolts and the newer ones eliminated the 5th bolt because it was so difficult to get to. The gimbal should have 5 threaded holes. The 4 cylinder pipe had a bolt in the space that is blocked on the v6/v8 pipe so the same gimbal is used for all 4,6 and 8 engines

Back