Logo

OMC Cobra 5.0 Only runs with Starter engaged

doggydaddy

Ive been diagnosing an issue as to why my engine only runs while the starter is engaged. Ive found that the coil is not getting 12v when the ignition key is in the run position, only when the starter is engaged does it get 12v. Ive unplugged the ESA so I dont believe this is a factor. If I connect the battery directly to the positive lead of the coil, the engine fires up immediately. My question is am I wrong in assuming the coil should be getting 12v with the key in just the "on" position? Or should the voltage be coming from the ignition key side? Thanks!

esa.jpg

The ign switch supplies the power to the coil in the "run" position. the coil gets power from the starters solenoid in"start" position

Ive been diagnosing an issue as to why my engine only runs while the starter is engaged. Ive found that the coil is not getting 12v when the ignition key is in the run position, only when the starter is engaged does it get 12v. Ive unplugged the ESA so I dont believe this is a factor. If I connect the battery directly to the positive lead of the coil, the engine fires up immediately.
Be careful doing this for any duration.
Your system may require resisted voltage.

My question is am I wrong in assuming the coil should be getting 12v with the key in just the "on" position?
No... you are not wrong.
However, it may be resisted voltage depending on the ignition system.

Or should the voltage be coming from the ignition key side?
Sounds like the same question!

During cranking, the ignition system voltage is reduced.
In order to compensate for this, the system incorporates a "start-bi-pass" circuit.
This
"start-bi-pass" circuit receives power from starter solenoid circuit during cranking ONLY!
Once started and once the solenoid circuit is out-of-the-loop, the ignition system operates from the key switch in the "run" position.
It sounds as though your key switch "run" position is not providing power to the ignition coil.

If this boat is equipped with an ignition safety/kill lanyard, make sure that the lanyard kill switch is OK.

Pull your engine harness to hull harness connector apart.
Look at the contacts and make sure that the ignition circuit is offering good continuity.

Check the "Ign" terminal side of the key switch for power while in the "run" position.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction BT Doctur. Looking at the current track, I figured it was the ESA or a bad wire connection. PO installed pertronix ignition but was still using the stock ESA so I decided to replace it. Bought the CDI ESA and wired it up, got 12v to coil with key on run. Engine fired right up! Cheers!

Last edited:
Back