Logo

F90 TLR Power T&T

Redfly

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster here. I’m having issues with a F90 TLR power tilt and trim. Backstory, this boat was salvaged after being beached overnight in Florida. Engine was never under water. Boat was pushed by waves and stuck overnight. Hull was full of sand/water. So here’s my issue now that the engine is back up and running:

Seatow pickled the engine and apparently manually released the trim. Trim didn’t work, so I started exploring. Done it may have taken plenty of waves, I removed the reservoir plug, and siphoned out all the fluid in case it got water in it somehow. Filled it back with fluid, etc. Please note, nothing has changed as far as how it’s behaving with new fluid vs old fluid. I’ve made sure the manual release screw is fully tightened clockwise (it’s on the right if I’m facing the bow from behind, but everything I read says Yamaha is on the left. Might be my first question) Here’s the symptoms:

Tilt Motor is working

With engine up, trim pistons/rams will push out, but I can fairly easily push them in and when lowering the motor it’s plenty heavy enough to push them back in fairly slowly.

The tilt basically has no holding power. I can move the engine freely by hand and it will drop quickly/instantly, not slowly against the hydraulics.

When adding fluid, I tried to slowly lift the engine while a friend pumped.

So, it acts like it has no fluid. Maybe I just need to keep trying to have it suck on fluid as I lift the engine slowly?

Any my thoughts or ideas? I’ll post photos as soon as I can. I just realized they are not saved on my phone for some reason. I can freely move the engine easily by hand. Is there something I need to do since it was manually lowered besides make sure the screw is tight?

Thanks in advance. Usually I can find a post with the same problem and a fix, but I can’t find any information on if I need to do anything after a manual release,etc.

I think you just need to bleed it more. Seems like there's just too much air inside.

What you need to do is start out with the trim rod fully extended. Then connect the light-green wire to the battery's positive terminal, and the light blue wire to the battery's negative terminal. If you think your PTT switch is working (and you can hear the PTT motor whirring), then you probably don't need to remove the unit and hook it directly up to the battery.

After confirming that the rod full retracts, then reverse the wires to make the rod fully extend again. Then top off the fluid, and repeat those steps about 5-6 times. If that doesn't work, you'll likely need to open up the PTT unit and inspect it. There may be a stuck valve or the motor might not be healthy.

Back