Logo

Carburetor wedge

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
1995 454XL V-Drive with Rochester Quadrajet. I removed the carburetors to clean up the intake manifolds. The port side has a gasket and looks like a half gasket, the stbd has just a gasket. Carbs were removed last year for rebuild by mechanic who is now gone so I don't know what was originally there. My parts catalog (TECM 556) only shows the Holley with square bore. Do I need a wedge (CRU 97122) ? I also have seen 7 degree and 8 degree wedges on the net. Would I put a clinometer on the intake to measure angle??

I'm not a fan of buying one use tools. A regular 8" el cheapo hardware store level will work. Carbs don't have to be dead level, and since boats run at different attitudes depending on speed you want carbs to be level when at cruise. If both engines have identical flame arrestors, and the arrestors have reasonably flat tops, just put the level across the arrestor ( front to back) and see which carb is more level at cruise.

I wouldn't think you need the wedges with the v-drives.....if you have not had them up til now, I wouldn't worry about them.

All you need is a decent (thick) gasket... Cliff's sell them if you cant source one locally.

I just put a c
linometer (had one in shed) on flame arresters. Both sides read the same. 2degrees. down angle is towards front of engine, back of boat. Im going to get new thick gaskets and go for a boat ride.

I sent both carburetors to Cliffs High Performance. When Cliff received them and tore them apart, he actually called me and said exactly what he saw. We talked for over 45 minutes! He knows his stuff. Got the carbs back and they are a work of art. installed port one and the engine fired right up. Kinda like fuel ejection. No pumping throttle and it idled perfect. the port side was sticking and Cliff told me what to do. I did it. It also started right up and runs perfect. He sent me the correct thick mounting gaskets. I will run the boat and do a WOT test as soon as this late season storms rolls through here. I very rarely recommend any business, but Cliffs High Performance is a exception. Excellent service, great communication, 'plug n play', quick turn around, and all at a fair price. Thanks Makomark for the recommendation.

How did you get that fast of a turnaround?

I sent two QJets to Cliff last year. He told me that he moves marine carb rebuilds to the head of the line. I'm not sure why he does that.

I had the same outcome that kevin_z wrote about -- the rebuilt carbs work great!

That's right. What DJR said. Cliff moves marine carbs to the front. I don't know why either, but glad he does!!

Did a WOT run with the new (rebuilt) carbs. Perfect. With a full load of gas (210 gal) 50 gal water, clean bottom, in the bayou with no wind and no tide.

4000rpm,28.5mph(GPS),43.3GPH(Garmnin GFS10), temps 165F, oil pressures 40psi, .

That's about the best it can get!!

Time to get a coat of wax on it and go for a boat ride.

Back