Logo

1985 Johnson 70hp 2 stroke no start

Jessemh1981

Hope I can pick someone's brain here that has some knowledge in repairing these engines. I have a 1985 Johnson 70 hp 2 stroke. I purchased it over the winter on a 1978 trihull with only a video of it the previous summer. The price was right so I took it. Well we got it started and it actually ran pretty good on a different boat after a little adjusting the throttle cables. We got it to idle perfectly. Unfortunately like any thing complicated it had a slight gear oil leak so I took it apart and changed all the O rings grease seals etc. Well all of a sudden the water pump cut out so now I've replaced the pump and the water intake screen. I put her back together and now she don't want to start. She cranks she has spark the compression is good but nothing. Not even starter fluid would get her to kick over. I changed the plugs anyway even tho they where dry and decent. She's dumping a little gas out of the carburetors I was going to clean them next maybe something made a home in there idk but that is my last try before I'm at my wit's end. Any help would be appreciated. Ty

Are you raising the fast idle lever ?-----Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over ?----Checked the kill switch?

Back