Logo

1998 Mercury 115 2+2 misfiring above 2000 RPM

jmurrayy

I have a 1998 mercury 115 2 stroke 2+2 that starts and idles fine but once I start to accelerate and the other two cylinders kick in the engine starts to bog and shake and wants to die at anything above 2,000 RPM. Sometimes it will run fine for a minute and then start to cut out and pick back up again but I can't seem to figure out the problem. The compression is within 5 psi of 120 psi on all cylinders and I have replaced all fuel lines coming from the tank to the motor as well as the primer bulb and the carbs have been cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air. Could it be the stator or fuel pump? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am not there but its possible that's the issue. Before buying one take a timing light to all cylinders and see if spark is breaking down when missing. Also test high speed side of stator with meter and DVA adapter plus disconnect rectifier only for testing.

The carbs were cleaned internally??? Test for spark first, but then, because it is a 2+2, you might want to check the linkage synchronization and the possibly use a squirt oiler filled with 50 to 1 and squirt some mixture into one or both of the lower carburetor throats when the engine starts to miss. This requires removing the motor cover and the plastic carburetor cover as well. It is also possible to accidentally disconnect one or more spark plug wires when wrestling with the cover to get it on correctly.

The carbs were taken apart and cleaned internally, tomorrow i'm going to test the resistance on the stator and try a couple of other things with the rectifier and power packs to see if I can narrow this down at all. I'll let you guys know if I find anything else. Thanks for the replies.

Back