Logo

96 4.3 GL - changed elec fuel pump, now will not start

DanADaMan

I have a 96 Invader with a 4.3GL volvo penta motor. I was having a fuel issue, where at full tank it ran perfect but once at 3/4 full it would stumble at wot (would be fine at half throttle though). Anyway, I thought it was the electric fuel pump, so I bought a new one and installed. Now it will not start. I removbed the fuel line from pump to carb and cranked it, and yes fuel was squirting out, so I think that means the pump is working? But weird cause before the swap, the engine would fire up on first crank - now even after 20+ cranks it is not even poping?

Any ideas where to start? Thanks

make sure you didnt knock a wire off at the coil, is this an EST setup? small square ish looking coil with 2 plugs on top? i have seen the plug come off and cause this.
if its on, check for spark at the plugs, if no spark, check for spark from the coil wire.
if the engine has fuel and spark, the last is compression, but i doubt you have complete combustion failure when it ran before the f/p was replaced. also check the power from the circuit breakers that i believe are mounted on the box in front of the starboard manifold riser

I found the issue. I made a big mistake. The new fuel pump I bought is the high pressure one that puts out 50+ PSI vs the original low pressure one that puts out 6-8 psi. I found it after removing the carb fuel restrictor and when cranking (which sends power to the fuel pump), fuel was pouring down the primary vent like a fountain. So basically I extremely was flooding it. Being rinks are not designed to hold gas (like they are for oil), the fuel eventually went into the bottom of the engine and mixed with the oil. Fortunately I didn't crank to much and only ran the engine for a few minutes (I dispowered the pump once and tried to start which it did until the fuel in the carb burnt up). Anyway, did an oil and filter change and put the original pump on and is working same as before). I now bought the right pump which should arrive in a week. So lesson learned - the high and low pressure look exactly the same and even have the same model number - so make sure if ever replacing to read the fine details to make sure it is the right one.

Back