Logo

2006 Mercury 50 HP EFI Running issues

WillPaul

Hey Guys,

I have an issue with my 2006 Mercury 50 HP EFI 4 Stroke motor that I can't figure out and either can the mechanics I brought it too. About a month ago I was out fishing running up and down the lake with no issues. I stopped to fish a spot for about twenty minutes, started my boat up, put it into gear and couldn't get about 3,000 RPM. At this point the motor was still starting and "running" , just idling rough without shutting off or having any alarms go off. Once I got it home, I found that one of the ignition coils had gone bad. I ordered a new one and replaced it without issue. However once I got the motor running again you could hear the engine "missing" every few seconds and running very rough and not staying on. In order to even keep it running you would have to rev the throttle well over 3k and even then it would shut off after twenty seconds or less. After going through all the fuel lines, replacing the main fuel hose/ball, new fuel filter and checking both fuel pumps I couldn't find any issues. I also disconnected my fuel lines from the boats tank and ran them into another tank thinking it was bad gas, but there was no change. I took the boat to a mercury certified mechanic and they looked it over and ran a bunch of diagnostics on the engine and spent time on the phone with mercury techs at the factory in Wisconsin. They then determined that the ECM had gone bad and needed to be replaced. After doing some research and talking with mercury regarding using an ECM from another motor (same description) it shouldn't be an issue. I got another ECM and plugged it into the motor and it started right up, at first running "rough" but sounded much better and wasn't "missing" like with the other ECM. However, the same issue is happening where you need to rev the motor very high in order to keep it running for only a few seconds and then it dies. I don't want to take it to another mechanic to have them come up with similar results. Has anyone ever had this issue or heard of anything like this? Or have any other ideas of what could be causing this issue other than the ECM? Im thinking its some kind of fuel issue, but I don't know what there is left to check since both pumps are working and the previous mechanic said he went through them and didn't find any issues.

Back