Logo

1982 Force/Chrysler 15hp 2 stroke outboard help needed

Ryanm

Purchased duck boat about a month or two ago, came with two outboards.

the 15hp force/chrysler
i replaced water impeller and gasket and make sure I blew through lines. Also replaced lower gear oil. Took forever to realized top exhaust port doesn’t really spit water unless boats actually on water as opposed of garbage can test. Finally tested boat this weekend
boats 150lbs fiberglass
i got out there she started up good, started going went to max throttle a whole 15mph I was shocked thought the motor should do a lot more than that, spoke too soon motor changed to top speed of 7mph.
went to test reverse when I idle slow it shut off. Took a while to start had to move throttle quite a bit past start to get her to turn over. i drove full throttle 7mph back to boat ramp
now during full throttle felt like it would speed up a little slow down. Kinda like wah wahhh wah wahhh wah wahh sound.
i do hvac don’t really work on outboards
now I know I have a 2 blade prop which is not OEM calls for a 3 blade.

next plan is to rebuild carb
replace prop with OEM maybe have prop spun on old prop
replace inline fuel filter
replace both spark plugs.

and to reiterate about water impeller I can run it with my hand in engine in idle and engine block stays about 70 degrees

motor does not have a thermostat either.
also removed bottom spark plug to check if water was leaking to into engine area did not see any but bottom spark plug was clean.

all helps appreciated also when it get new parts any tests I should do? Anyway to tell if I have a bad coil? I own an electrical meter and stuff.

One plug is clean??
Do a compression and spark test.
Make sure you test both cyl. for spark.

Rebuild fuel pump or at least inspect the diaphragm.
If the bottom plug is the clean one? the diaphragm might be bad?

They sell temp/heat guns.
eBay about 16$ that way you know for sure??

You can't add pics until you have 3 or 5 posts.
Use a photo sharing site, Shutterfly or photo shop.
Take a few pics of the motor, particularly the electronics.
You have points? or CDI??

The 15 can have a 2 blade prop.
The replacement is a 3???
You need to get it running, get an add on tach(tiny tach) and figure out the rpm's
The metal tag should have specs?
52-5400??? Then figure out the prop?
If the 2 blade get the motor to the operating specs? then the 2 blade is OK.
Any #s on the prop you have? Aluminum? Plastic?

Back