Logo

1988 Yamaha 175hp maxes out at 3100 rpm

Zissou

Hi all I bought a 1984 wellcraft v20 fisherman a few months ago. Great first boat. It came with a 1988 yamaha 175 2 stroke that idles great but wont go over about 3100 rpm - about 20mph. The compression numbers aren't that great: 98, 98, 102, 98, 92, 85. When I bought it I couldn't get it to start so I removed, cleaned and did a minor rebuild on the carbs, mostly just new gaskets and adjusted the floats. I synced the carbs according to the Seloc manual. I also changed and gapped the plugs and verified spark with a spark tester. Then I found tdc and set the pick up and idle timing, still working on advanced timing while running. I found some frayed wires running up to the pulser coil so I taped them up the best I could but I wonder if they are grounding out when I advance the throttle. I rebuilt the fuel pumps with new diaphragms so I believe they are good. I've run the fuel to it with auxiliary tanks and different primer bulbs. In short I've done a lot of different things one at a time to try and fix this problem but I'm sort of stuck at the moment so any insights would be appreciated!

Back