Logo

Crusader 8.1 wiring - bench test hookup

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I got my 8.1's home over the weekend and have them in the garage now. I want to do sometesting and run them a bunch of times before I start thinking about the swap at the boat.

I can't find a wiring diagram that exactly matches the color coding I see on my harness. I have it hooked up now to a set of gauges that I took with the engines. It turns over and might actually start but I don’t have a gas can connected yet.

As I’m cranking over, none of the gauges are coming to life. As you can see , I have a light blue/gray wire left over and don’t see that as an option. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that matches my harness? Here’s what I have found and a pic of how I’m wired up.

Any ideas? I guess I need to get a fuel supply connected next and rule in whether it will actually start and then I know it’s a power/ground issue to the gauges.

(pics not uploading, will update in a few mins)

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• CRU.jpg
    CRU.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 154
  • gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I would guess is the alarm wire.....LT BLU/TAN in the diagram.....if it is, it should have continuity to ground with the engine OFF (due to the oil pressure switch)...I would think you could also check it for continuity with the other switches (gear, oil & engine temp).

I will email you Crusader's MEFI4 manual...its got the wiring diagram spread over a dozen pages....

looking at the gauge cluster pic, the purple wire appears to emerge from the harness and go to tach....I don't see anything else connected to the purple wire - is there any other connections?

ok, I thought the secondary stripe was tan, not gray so that might help. Let me do some more digging and appreciate additional manual offer!

again, looking at the back of the gauge cluster, deducing that your START switch is at the bottom LH edge of the panel...where is the IGN switch?

Yes, that is a momentary switch which when pressed turns the engine over. Do I need an IGN switch as well? Hmmm, on my boat, I don't have any "keys" just a momentary switch at the helm and ignition switches down in the cabin. I need an ignition switch don't I?

got it! Just need to rig up fuel next. My neighbors are going to love me, can’t be running these at night that’s for sure.

We used to use an outboard can, with the fitting removed......one other thing I'd suggest - remove the belt from the raw water pump and just feed the raw water side of your cooling system with the garden hose.....it won't matter at idle but if you rev it up, most hoses (even 3/4"ID ) can't keep up....

Back