Logo

1985 Mercury 18 XD fast idle adjustment

The John

Hey everyone,
I have a new to me 1985 Mercury 18 hp (XD) (Serial A115159). Engine runs well but at low idle is a little rough.

I see the fast idle adjustment is under the choke face plate (highlighted in yellow). I want to make sure that I am proceeding correctly to adjust the fast idle before I screw something up. I probed the face plate over the weekend and the cover seems to be a sticker. Can anyone confirm that I am supposed to remove the sticker to get to the fast idle adjustment knob, or refer me to a better procedure to do this?

Thank you, I appreciate any feedback given. ;)

mercury 18 parts blowout.jpg

That screw in the carb is the low speed fuel mix not the idle speed screw. Adjust it 1/8" at a time to see if you can get the idle smoother.

The knob in yellow adjust idle timing.-----Screw item 16 on front / upper part of the carburetor adjust slow speed mixture.----There are lots if items identified as #16 ( carburetor repair kit ) ----I think it is obvious as to what to adjust for idle mixture here.

The picture in post #1 does show the mixture screw for low speed performance.----The poster says that idle is a " bit rough " and adjusting the mixture may help smooth it out.

Back