Logo

Tohatsu Md90b, problem ignition coil

Tohmate

I have a problem with the Tohatsu tldi md90b outboard engine. I start the engine and it works normally. I go with him to the sea and hold him from 3000 to 4000 RPM, after 15 minutes on the tachometer blink
* 3 lights and the engine lowers the throttle. It's like entering safe mode. Later I run into the error service and show me an error on ignition coil # 2. It doesn't seem to work. I inserted a new ignition coil # 2, but again after 15 mins throw out the same error. Sorry for my language, I do not know English very well.

Did you put the motor in diag mode to see what it thinks is wrong? Do you have a 900-plus CCA battery?

I forget tell, I put new spark, change wires of spark.
First time I replace Ignition coil #1, with ignition coil#2, then delete fault log, but after 15 min on 3000rpm to 4000rpm, same diag.problem.
Ignition coil #2.:confused:

I would check to make sure there is a signal from the ECU to the coil. Could be a damaged low-voltage wire to the coil.

Analog would be better. But it is a short pulse of about 12v.
You could also try running with the cowl off, in case something is acting up when hot. Cowl off would let the ECU run cooler, in the rare event that the ECU is failing hot.

Last edited:
Could it be problem with stator, maybe after 15 min stator get hot. I will go test with cowl off and than send you message.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answers. I Will check with the cowl off.
Very strange problem.
Only ecu send signal to ignitio coil.
Pick-Up Coil?
Throttle position senszor?
Mat senzor?

Hello
Today I test engine with cowl off, but problem is same.
I measured compression on cylinders
cylinder 1 has 9 bars
cylinder 2 has 2 bars
cylinder 3 has 9 bars

I don't know what to do, I guess that's a real problem

Last edited:
Back