Logo

100 hp mariner slow crank

Cableguy278

When I took my boat out this past weekend. I went to start it and it would turn over very slowly. So I changed batteries. Then it started but it was still slow starting. I was out on the lake and went to restart the engine and it did the same thing . I checked the voltage and it still had 12.9 reading on the battery. I don’t know if it’s the stator or the starter. The tachometer don’t work either. I just don’t wanna buy parts that I don’t need . Any help would Be appreciated. Thank you

When I took my boat out this past weekend. I went to start it and it would turn over very slowly. So I changed batteries. Then it started but it was still slow starting. I was out on the lake and went to restart the engine and it did the same thing . I checked the voltage and it still had 12.9 reading on the battery. I don’t know if it’s the stator or the starter. The tachometer don’t work either. I just don’t wanna buy parts that I don’t need . Any help would Be appreciated. Thank you
1997 100hp mariner / ssn#OG569249

Check all connections very well, get a voltmeter and connect to starter solenoid+ and battery ground crank it and see how much the voltage drops. If you know the battery is good and it drops to say 8v, it's safe to say that the starter has a bad winding..

Rebuild the starter. Easy to do:

Mark the three parts so you know how they go back together. Pull it a part. Oil the top and bottom bearings. Shine up the commutator with fine sand paper, then reassemble. (I use a piece of sheet metal with a "U" cut in it for the shaft. Push the brushes down with it and slip the parts back together.)

Jeff

Take starter apart.----Take ohm reading from commutator to the stub shaft.----Should read infinity.----If you do get a reading on the meter the windings are shorted.-----When warmed it could be worse.-----Results in slow cranking.----New brushes are cheap too.

Back