Logo

Question

luhrs_40

Contributing Member
Question ..Late 80s Crusader 454 and 97 crusader 454 XL are they same block and heads? Any major difference besides older ones were carburetors and newer ones fuel injection? Thanx

no....the late 80's stuff is known as MarkIV….a 97 is like to be a GEN 6...…

The difference are lised on many www sites...the 'bolts ons' interchange...

My question is will the carburetors from the 89 crusader 454
fit on a 97 454 Gen 6 intake manifold? Any other problems switching to the newer motors from the older 454?

The majority of the newer engines are injected, which means they have an ECU and usually a connection to the distributor. you can usually dress out a Gen 6 with Mark IV bolt ons. To use a carb on the Gen 6's, the intake needs to have the 'spreadbore' interface - wider spaced holes for the mounting bolts and a large enough opening for the butterfly valves on the secondary side.

I'm pretty certain you WONT find any mechanical fuel pump accommodations on the early GEN VI production blocks.....electric is the only choice there...

I believe the Gen V blocks have no mech fuel pump boss, but most of the Gen VI blocks do. I'll add, if you do not want to use an electronic fuel pump, but have a Gen V block, Mercruiser makes a raw water pump with a Mech fuel pump boss on it, so the raw water pulley powers both the mech fuel pump and the raw water impeller.

Good luck!

" Mercruiser makes a raw water pump with a Mech fuel pump boss on it, so the raw water pulley powers both the mech fuel pump and the raw water impeller. "

Can you share any specifics on that pump? I'm building a Gen V and would prefer a mechanical fuel pump.

Thank you, a little salty on price but it does give me an option.

You should be able to find the housing on Ebay for around 1/2 that price (around $250/$350). That's typically what they sell for. You'll notice the fuel pump boss in the pics, if the add doesn't mention it, it's a pretty obvious difference.

Back