Logo

Prop, hydrofoil or smart tabs?

81lund86

Good day fellow forum members,

I have a 1981 Lund guide special (15’) fiber glass tri-hull 35 hp Johnson 20" shaft paired with 10.5” x 11” prop.

I’m having issues getting it to plane. Main performance issues are that it’s slow to plane, there’s a fair amount of bow rise and struggles to plane with more than one passenger/won’t plane if I exceed 80-85% of the boats load capacity. There’s a chance I could be overloading the boat, not sure if motor weight is included in maximum boat weight capacity? Figure I need more lift at the stern, the boat is aft heavy with the motor, gas tank, battery, steering console and myself all sitting in the back 3-4ft of the boat.

Debating first course of action between these 3 options:

Four blade aluminum prop
Engine-mounted hydro foil
Pair of smart tabs

Anyone have similar experience or ideas to solve the issue? My only experience is electric trim tabs on a 24’ Sea Ray.

Thanks in advance for your help. Can’t wait to hear back. Sitting on the edge of my dock waiting for the first reply!

Mike

you need a 3 cyl on that boat............ easiest and only thing that will help you is a hydrofoil/fin.. I would get a cheap set of doel -fins to put on the motor.
but you are extremely under powered with that motor , those boats go well with a 60/70hp triple on the back and give around 40 mph.

Back