Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Mercury 35 2 cyl with remote controls. Idle not returning to idle stop screw after throttling.

I'm sure this is an easy fix, I'm just clueless and not sure where to start.

It idles high after coming back to idle from a higher throttle. I concluded that its because it's not returning back to the idle stop screw. However I'm able to push it back manually by physically moving it to the idle stop screw - only then will it return to the idle screw.

It seems like possibly somethimg is loose. I just don't want to monkey around and break anything. Perhaps need to tighten a nut on a lever or perhaps throttle cable needs to be tightened?

I'm at work now, but can provide some pics later when I get home.

I figure I should fix this asap, as when putting it into gear - it bucks pretty hard due to the high RPMs

Thanks much

Default Re: Mercury 35 2 cyl with remote controls. Idle not returning to idle stop screw after throttling.

If this is a remote control model tighten the throttle cable up so it pulls it.to the stop.