Logo

1997 Johnson Fast Strike no spark on right side

dshelton

Hello everyone.... newbe here to this forum and was hoping someone could provide some assistance. I have a 97 150 Fast strike that isn't firing on any of the right side cylinders. I've disconnected the shifter switch and temperature sensors but still have no spark on the right side cylinders. Is there any other switches/sensors I should check before spending money on a new power pack? Many thanks in advance for any advice!

This is from the OIS2000 ignition troubleshooting guide at CDI Elevtronics

NO SPARK OR INTERMITTENT SPARK ON ONE BANK:
1. Disconnect the Black/Yellow stop wire AT THE POWER PACK and retest. If the engine’s ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault. Check the key switch, harness and shift switch.
2. Disconnect the Yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the engine sparks, replace the rectifier.
3. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to spark properly. This can be caused
by a weak battery, dragging starter, bad battery cables or a mechanical problem inside the engine.
4. Check the stator resistance and DVA output (see Step #13 on NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER above). If the power pack has no
spark on one bank and the readings are good, replace the power pack.
5. Disconnect the 4-pin connector on the port side of the power pack and see if the spark returns. If it does spark, check resistance to
see if the Black/Yellow wire is shorted to engine ground. Check to see if the Shift Interrupter switch is located in the circuit where there is no spark.

So here are the test results from performing the OMC service manual steps 6 and 7 which are the charge coil tests and the power pack tests. When doing the charge coil tests (Step 6) I get a very slight voltage output reading of between .01 and .025. When testing the two stator wires I get 200 volts on both the brown yellow and brown white. When performing the power pack tests (Step 7) the readings jump around and get get nowhere near 100 volts coming out of the ignition coil primary leads that. But I can get sparks to jump over a half an inch at the plug wires (on the port cylinder bank) so I'm thinking (obviously) my meter is just not accurately reading the output voltage. So do you think the .01 and .025 voltage readings from the charge coil/stator tests are an issue or is this normal. The manual states "Any reading indicates charge coil is grounded. Locate and repair ground, or replace stator assembly". If the previous is not and issue should I purchase a new power pack? Again, I really appreciate your help with this!

Back