Logo

A Strange stalling issue

ShaunYoung

The abbreviated version of the story. About a month ago water came over the stern of the boat and got in the engine compartment and stalled the engine out. I got everything dried up and it started right up but would not go above an idle when placed in gear. Took it home got it cleaned up let it set for a week and took it out the following weekend and it ran great for about an hour to an hour and a half. We stopped to do some fishing for about 2 hours. Once we were done fishing we cleaned up and the engine cranked right up and started back to the launch and again if you tried to give it more throttle it would skip and pop and then stall. it would start right back up but had to idle back to the launch. Took it back home changed out the plugs, wires, cap, coil, and fuel filter. This is an 1989 OMC Cobra with the GM 5.7L 4 barrel carburetor and the distributor appears to have been converted from points to HEI with a plate in the distributor with a module mounted on it. Took it back out to the lake and the same thing occurred we ran it up and down the lake at many different throttle positions forward, reverse it all worked fine. Stopped off had lunch,drowned some worms and then tried to head back to the launch. Again started fine idles great and can rev the engine in neutral. Put it in gear and tried easing the throttle up and it would stall, tried quickly throttling up and it would stall, shift just barely into drive and it would be fine. can shift forward and reverse with no issues just can't throttle up in either gear. I am a fairly decent car mechanic but don't know much about boats. i have read and talked to my boat guy that i get parts from about the shift assist system but he seems to think it is fine since the engine doesn't stall when shifting forward and reverse and doesn't seem to have an issue initially. the old fuel filter did have some small debris and did not show signs of water in the fuel. This weekend i plan on opening the fuel cell and checking the fuel pick up and look to see if there appears to be any deterioration of the fuel lines. Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be the issue here. Thank you for any suggestions

Shaun

the old fuel filter did have some small debris and did not show signs of water in the fuel. This weekend i plan on opening the fuel cell and checking the fuel pick up and look to see if there appears to be any deterioration of the fuel lines. Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be the issue here.

Ayuh,..... If this, ^^^, doesn't fix it, rebuild the carb,.....

I believe it's a fuel delivery issue,.....

Back