Logo

1998 115 ficht no spark

oil driver

Contributing Member
I have a 98 115 Ficht. It cranks well but I get no spark. To make it crank I bypassed the neutral safety switch and the emergency cutoff switch. I used a start button on the solenoid. I plugged all the rest of the connectors into the harness and turned the key on. One triangular connector on the motor has black. red, and white wires. Another has a single black wire. These two comfortably plug together. Neither has a corresponding (same wire color )plug on the harness.
The motor cranks really well ,turns nicely, and it tilts well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Barry

i have 98 115 ficht

Thanks for the reply.Yes, this motor is new to me.It was stored in the previous owners garage. I was told it was running when his mechanic pulled it and put it away.

Unplug the connectors ,reconnect the kill switch. When you turn switch on do you hear fuel pump run in vapor tank? If not your notting getting power to EMM

I'm going through this with a 225 FICHT. The engine has to crank over 200 RPM to generate a crank position sensor signal. Problem is that you pretty much can't check this without spark. Make sure your battery(s) are fully charged and if you don't have the software it's pretty cheap on eBay but unless things have changed since I got mine it's an Eastern European bootleg appearing affair. CPS can be checked with an ohmmeter. The three wire to one wire connector is the port for hooking up the diagnostic software. With the software you can check to see that the EMM can put out a signal to the individual coils and you can also see if there is a CPS signal. I fixed an apparent bad connection in the CPS harness but that didn't fix my issue. I also took my starter apart, cleaned and lubricted as it was in good shape but that didn't fix my issue either. New CPS coming tomorrow, I need to read up on changing it. I'm real curious as to how to set the gap as it is hidden under the flywheel. I think I'm seeing the need for making a tool.

The battery was hot, the connections were good, and it turns over well. A CPS is cheap enough, so I'll change it. I misunderstood the question about hearing the fuel pump run. The motor does nothing with only the key switch. I was turning it over with a remote starter button, when I said I heard the fuel pump. I have a dual setup, so I tried both and neither does anything. I called an emm rebuilder and he told me I should send the emm to him after telling him what I just said here. I did a compression test which came up 150psi on 3 cylinders and 137 on the other. With those numbers I am optimistic about this engines chances. I am going to bring it to a certified OMC tech.. With my half baked outdated knowledge ,I really have no business working on a motor like this. I fixed my 94 225 ocean runner by installing a new power pack,plugs, and wires, but I had that motor running before I got a no spark condition.I The tilt trim motor on that engine needs to be changed. It is in the down position and the manual release is frozen. I have been spraying with rust busters, and I will be pulling it out Sunday. I will try some heat and shock before drilling it. Wish me luck.

I spoke to an EMM builder about my issues and he said I should send my EMM to him. He was kind of pushy about it and wasn't really offering any troubleshooting advice. I sent it to another rebuilder (Eric at Marine Computer Supply) and he tested it and told me there is nothing wrong with it. I have to get a fuel line situation straightened out and he said I should call him when I am on the boat with a voltmeter so we can get to the bottom of my problems. I have sorted one of them out and need to replace the CPS to fix another.

Thanks, Baddog. I have a feeling I spoke to the same guy.I didn't like it. I will check out Marine Computer Supply. It sounds like you win. A new CPS is a fraction of the cost.

Back