Logo

New Honda BF15 Runs in barrel wont start when boat is in water.

AzogNewOrleans

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brand new, out the box Honda BF15 tiller motor. Will not start when boat is in the water but starts first pull and runs without problems in a barrel of water under motor in back yard. Driving me nuts. Added correct Honda engine oil. New Gas. New Gas Tank. New Fuel line. Installed on 14 foot flat boat. Oil pressure light comes on when pulling rope when not starting in water, oil light stays on when running in barrel. Water coming out of indicator hole when running. I am sure kill key is installed, even tried the extra key that came with the motor. Would think I have bad gas but the same gas in the same tank runs fine in yard in barrel. I understand I have a warranty but if I take engine to dealer they will run it like I am in back yard and not see problem. Any help would be gladly accepted. 3rd payment coming up and no boat trip yet.[/FONT]

Hi,
Sorry you're having problems with your new Honda.

My first thought is about how the outboard is mounted on the transom. If the outboard extension and gear case is set too deep in the water, the exhaust will experience too much restriction. This could cause a no start because air can't flow through the engine properly.

The only other thing that I can think of for possibly causing this would be conditions where you go boating are quite a bit different. Is there a large difference in the altitude of your drive as opposed to where you put in the water? If 3,000 ft. or more you might have to experiment with your starting process, especially choke setting, in order to get her to fire.

If you think the outboard "leg" may be setting too deep in the water you can either figure out how to mount the motor higher or try starting it in a partly tilted up position. If you try that, make sure you leave enough water over the water intake so as not to dry start the water pump and ruin the impeller.

If I can think of anything else, I will post again.

Good luck

Last edited:
I have the motor mounted on a 14 Alumacraft. I understand where the motor should be and everything is ok. I live right on the waters edge, launch is 15 min from my house so altitude is not an issue. Now I do have the motor raised when traveling to save the lower unit but once down it should not be an issue. Starts first pull at home in barrel. I tried starting with the cap on and off the new gas tank in case it is a vent issue, no luck. I am going to change the new filter that came with the motor but if filter was bad it would not start at home. I am an auto tech, so not completely in the dark but I am stumped. No solution soon will take it to Honda service center. Thanks for any help/

Run the carburetor empty at home.---------Refill carburetor with primer bulb after launching.-----I think it will start fine.

Look at item 3 in the link below. "Fuel chamber". Some of the 15's and 20's have this device and they have caused starting issues on those motors. The chamber has a tendency to act as a water separator for the fuel. I'm not sure if that was Honda's purpose for them (I think not, or they would have provided a drain) but that's what they do.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...nge/15hp/bf15dk3-sha-2007-and-later/fuel-pump

If your outboard has one you should take it off every 3 or 4 months and shake all the liquid out. If you catch the contents when you do it will be easy to see if there's any water content if you let it sit a few minutes.

Your outboard being so new I doubt that it's contaminated yet but it's something you can try. Just be careful taking it off and putting it back on as it's easy to damage the dipstick tube. Use a little WD-40 to make it easy to slide the holder off and back on.

This is "stumper" for sure!

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Back