Logo

Sparkplugs

Rick69

Hi everybody,
Somebody told me I can run a different sparkplugs in my 1988 force motor and are a better plugs than URL18V. Is this true or not?
Right now I'm running the UL18V plugs.If there is a better plug out there what is the brand and name of the plug.
I took my boat out on Labor Day It ran fine hammered down for about 6 miles about 49mph stop by the dam to fish for awhile about 4hrs then heading back to give the other end of the lake a try about half way it started to spit and sputter. We stop and popped the hood to see what was going on. Checked all wires looked good. Tried to start it back up and it did but when I gave it throttle. It fall on its face and spit and sputter. Stop again and this time we pulled out the plugs and this is what they looked like.
They had fawled out and I had just replaced them. But alot of people told me that these type of plugs (UL18V) are known to go bad quickly.

Thanks Rick

Attachments

• 20190903_214813.jpg
    20190903_214813.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190903_214939.jpg
    20190903_214939.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 37
They arre a little fouled but look normal, they all look like this?
The good thing is they can be cleaned with a cloth.
Lots of people use NGK plugs.
I've used both and found no difference???
Google Champion to NGK and a cross reference shows.

The later years, on some Forces they used NGK.
I think they just got a better deal.

I try to stick with American or US made products.

Do a compression/spark test.
Post your results.
The spit/sputter sounds like water in the fuel??

Will I did a compression check and
1) 140
2) 140
3) 135
4 ) 132
Spark test came back good on all cylinders.
I know it's not water in the tank because I empty all the bad gas out of the tank at the beginning of March. I think the spit/ sputter is caused by a fouled plug maybe and yes all the plugs look like that. I think the the next thing I'm going to do is adjust the fuel mixture on both Carburetors maybe it's to lean or they say to rich of oil.
By the way I forgot to mention to you after we looked at the plugs half way across the Lake and when it started to spit / sputter we pulled the plugs and put a good used set back in and it ran fine for about a mile and started acting the same way. All eight plugs look the same in the picture above.
Thanks Rick

Last edited:
Will I did a compression check and
1) 140
2) 140
3) 135
4 ) 132
Spark test came back good on all cylinders.
I know it's not water in the tank because I empty all the bad gas out of the tank at the beginning of March. I think the spit/ sputter is caused by a fouled plug maybe and yes all the plugs look like that. I think the the next thing I'm going to do is adjust the fuel mixture on both Carburetors maybe it's to lean or they say to rich of oil.
By the way I forgot to mention to you after we looked at the plugs half way across the Lake and when it started to spit / sputter we pulled the plugs and put a good used set back in and it ran fine for about a mile and started acting the same way. All eight plugs look the same in the picture above.
Thanks Rick

Last edited:
Like I said, the plugs don't look that bad.
Does it spit/sputter at all speeds??
Does it have fuel spitting from the front of the carbs?(reeds broken,missing)

Spitting from the carb/s. Pull the carbs, look inside at the reeds for broken/missing petals.

I bought a snake camera $11 for my phone.
Has a light and takes good pics.
Just make sure you get the right one.

Do you know how to adjust the carbs?
There's no high speed adjustment.
Low speed air/fuel mix only affects the motor at below 2k rpm's

Lots of good Utube video's out there.

I'd still do the check for water like I suggested.

Install a water/fuel separating filter.
There are a bunch of different ones, some have a clear bowl you can see the water in it.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Back