Logo

OMC 400 Sterndrive

in to deep

Need some advice Please

my omc is 990245S1 andit would not go into reverse now more. So I went to a shop for help and wastold to fine a full mechanical shift 400 as it would be better then the hydromechanical one I have
So $1000.00 later a model 983486 was told this is a 400 and it came with shiftcable and control box with broken mounts!
Yep I started digging into it when I drained the oil's to put new oil in andfound water in the case, so ok at this point put in a new water pump new ballgear and seals and O-rings do the job right and maybe not have any problems!???

Well at the water pump
Ok I am stumped here the unit I got model 983486 and 86 being the model yearright????
this unit I have looks just like my 79 400 parts and all inside and it lookslike this

https://www.*****************/parts/o...Gearcase+Group

it is not this unit !!!!!

https://www.*****************/parts/o...r+Gear+Housing

So at the water pump
I have done this job twice on my omc 400
I get the pump out and #35 — 909753 — DRIVESHAFT is like stuck / welded/ frozen to #47 — 909121 — DRIVESHAFT, UPPER I have beat this with ahammer I have heated it up and tried to us a press nothing !!!! the two WILLNOT separate!!!!

so my question here will be can I use my water pump unit from my 1979 unit andinstall it in this unit it all looks to same
but the new unit has a aftermarket heavy duty water pump kit and I thinksomeone used Loctite or something like it on this shaft

#51 — 910240 — BEARING HOUSING

the 1979 shows the same #51
— 910240 — BEARING HOUSING

the gears are the same and all 0982476 - L/P 1495.00 1985 and 0982476 - L/P 1495.00 1979 both years are the sameunits

Over all this new used unit I have from marineengines.com
from there pictures of the unit there the unit I got fits in the 1984 modelyear but still the same part numbers over all

Bill

My suggestion and advice...... don't spend one dime on an OMC stringer drive and/or repair.
Cut your losses now, infill the transom as to make it structural, find a good AQ series Volvo Penta stern drive system, and install it.

I asked about that 3 years ago when the pee poor new floor I had put in rotted out in 2 years
I dg into that an found the boat shop did not do what they said needed to be done went back to complain and the shop was out of business
So I started digging into it new stringers new floor and a new transom so I asked way back then about doing a swap and was told
it would be cheaper to buy new boat !!!
so I put all new wood and fiber glassed everything even under the new wood a brand new rebuilt engine and all but the sterndrive
and it was fine till I started it and it would not go into reverse and was told to get a full mechanical shift unit
and now this water pump thing

sei makes a good lower unit reasonably priced not sure about a stringer replacement though

The OMC Stringer Drive does not require a structural transom.
The OMC Stringer Drive transom opening is huge..... much larger than what any stern drive would require.
Stern Drives require a structural transom with a much smaller cut-out/opening.

The SEI Merc A drive-wanna-be is a Dog Clutch drive.

The AQ series drive is a Cone Clutch drive.

so my question here will be can I use my water pump unit from my 1979 unit andinstall it in this unit it all looks to same
but the new unit has a aftermarket heavy duty water pump kit and I thinksomeone used Loctite or something like it on this shaft

the water pumps are the same

Back