Logo

J1939 CAN Bus terminating resistor for Crusader

brock71

I have 2007 Crusaders with the J1939 Can bus capability and a Murphy 101 display. I am getting some intermittent problem with display of data. Just wondering if I need to add one or two 120ohm termination resistors to this network?
Thanks
John

If the powerview unit has been installed before and worked fine, its not likely to be the resistors but more the cable or connector ends themselves.....

I have looked at some of the connector ends. So far everything looks like new. Its a 12 year old fresh water installation. I'll keep looking. If I want to try a termination resistor where does it plug in? Maybe there is a "Y" connector behind the dash the Murphy installed in. Have o look.

Makomarrk...I have a couple other issues with this pair of engines. Maybe you have experience. The engine sync function does not work. After a run on the lake one engine wants to "hunt" at idle speed. I'm wondering if I have a bad ECM, throttle position control motor or something. Hate to go to a repair shop to get a computer diagnosis. Thinking of buying a Diacom computer interface that is supposed to be able to see all the engine parameters and fault codes. What d yo think?

John

I've seen the network cables made with termination resistors "added" to the wires before the pins are secured.....and I've seen them with their own connectors so they just plug into the end unit and the cable goes into the resistor's connector....you can find many variants looking on the internet.

The 'hunt' on the engine sync function is something the diacom should be able to help with....could be a sensor or a controller....those 'fly by wire' systems aren't difficult once you get the factory literature....and a computer to see what the ECU has for inputs and outputs...

Back