Logo

1969 Evinrude 55hp intermittent spark on top cylinder

radioflyer

As topic says I have intermittent spark on the top cylinder. The spark plug is good. Jumped from plug boot to spark plug I can see the spark intermittently jumping to the plug.
Where should I start? Thank you

Last edited:
You might start by checking points, dist cap, rotor and plug wires. You will have to remove the flywheel to do this.

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Some have points - Some do not)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

Back