Logo

Trying to solve low rpm stall, surging, 2010 Mercury 30hp EFI 4stroke

steveg_nh

Regular Contributor
Hoping someone with more knowledge of 4stroke outboards can help me out. I'm new to 4S having had 2 strokes to date.

I've been chasing a fuel issue, or I think fuel issue, in a new to me 2010 Merc 30hp EFI 4 stroke I bought a couple of weeks ago. It did stall once when we first got it when going from F to N, then not again until this final case which has persisted. A few days later, due to a stuck fuel sender I didn't realize it was very low on fuel and eventually it ran out of fuel on me. I discovered water in the tank and a bunch of junk. I pumped out whatever old fuel I could get out the tank that was left, purged the lines, and added 8 gallons of fresh fuel. I then added a Racor fuel/water seperator right after the tank but before the bulb, cleaned the low pressure fuel filter screen and bowl, replaced the high pressure fuel filter (old one was definitely restricted) and lastly, cleaned the VST and the filter screen on the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump. I checked the fuel pressure today, and it's 43psi regardless of the RPMs or when surging.

Unfortunately, it still isn't running right. It will start right up but it idles poorly. It will surge from about 800-1200, stay in one spot for a few seconds, then drop to 600 or 800, then sometimes catch and stay running, or sometimes stall. Pretty inconsistent on the behavior detail, but typically the same result, most times it will stall. If I advance the throttle to about 1200 -1500 it will stay running indefinitely, but still hunt a bit, but not as much. If I bring the throttle back to N quickly, it will almost always stall, but if I really gently bring it back slowly, I usually can keep it running, but again, it mat still stall as it drops to 400rpm or so, tries to catch and stay running, then just stop.

Given the above, I'm thinking it's likely not fuel pumps, as if I can keep it running at a higher RPM, it will run a while, much longer than I think it would if the low pressure pump wasn't keeping the VST full. I could be wrong though. Last weekend, I actually was able to take it on a 20 minute ride and it was perfect, and ran at WOT without issues (thought it was fixed, but it wasn't, as the issue showed again the next day).

At this point, I'm thinking the IAC valve is the likely culprit, unless it's something like an ECM issue, clogged injectors, or something else I haven't considered. I know I could get a Merc tech to hook up a diag reader to it, but I'd have to pull it from the water to bring it somewhere (which assumes I can safely get to the ramp to pull it in a swift current river), and at this point in the season, it's likely not going to get back to me in time to enjoy it at all before the season ends, so I'm trying to solve and test stuff myself instead of just replacing parts wildly.

Any tips or thoughts are appreciated. I read how to test the IAC to check for a vacuum on the open hose, but I'm not there tonight to try that.

Here's a video of the tach when it's jumping around, some of the higher RPM stuff being me advancing throttle. And the second video is the surging all on its own, showing the fuel pressure while it's doing it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctx7fl6o1f5e0zh/Video Sep 02, 11 46 24 AM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x3o9qasxcm0cgi/Video Sep 02, 12 57 05 PM.mov?dl=0

Thank you very much.

Thank you. I had found that one and read it before. When I'm idling right, I'm right on the money, about 850-900 in neutral and about 800 in gear. I'm just jumping all over the place. I will try to unplug the IAC though, as suggested. I forgot to try that. I ordered one though, to have, in case I determine this is the issue so I don't have to wait any longer.

Still dealing with this. Put the new IAC in, and same problem. Just had injectors cleaned, cleaned the VST, cleaned the low pressure fuel filter screen and bowl, replaced the racor filter, etc. Still surges and stalls when it can't recover. I'm at wits end. I'm going to have to bring it a shop, but I really feel like this is going to be a wild goose chase unless something is captured in the ECM. This is what it does. https://youtu.be/ktK5MjTH8cs

The only thing I haven't changed since 8/19 is the high pressure fuel filter. This started in July 2020, so that filter was only in use about 3 months. I would imagine a clogged HP filter would be more of an issue at higher RPMs than idle (when it's using very little fuel).

So just ran it on an external tank. Same issues. Checked all the plugs. They are consistent, do not stink like gas fouled, but did have a light coating of oil on the threads. Insulators appeared consistent and a nice tan color. I'm really starting to think the throttle plate may very well be warped, since this is only an issue at low speed/idle, and the IAC is new.

Well, I think I actually got this sorted out. I was questioning the intermittence of the issue, so I through an inline spark plug tester on it, on each cylinder. Would you believe it that the bottom plug was showing spark issues at lower RPMs, but seemed fine as I rev'd it. I swapped plugs and same issue, so I took a deeper look and found a loose ground on the coil pack for that cylinder. Not super loose, but definitely loose (I could spin the terminal with some resistance). I tightened it up and tried again, and spark was good, and the surging/hunting was GONE. I ran it off and on the last 24 hrs, and had it going for about 15-20 min, in and out of gear, quick decelleration, etc., and never dropped below 800rpm when coming down, never shook, and never stalled. Back in business! Thanks to all of you that helped with advice and suggestions.

Well right back where I started on this. I thought it was the the coil, but nope. Doing it again. Completely random. I had it at a dealer too for a few weeks while they located a water passage clog that ended up being under the powerhead, and they said they couldn't reproduce this stalling issue, nor were any error codes stored in the ECU. Since it's a Tohatsu, they said it's somewhat limited in terms of what data they can get off the computer. I just don't get this. But it's driving me mad. Any new ideas? I used the boat the other night and easily went in and out of gear 50-100 times just messing around inside marinas, and it never did it. Today, 3 times already.

Back