Logo

70 hp Johnson won’t keep running

cpcandy

My Johnson 70 hp outboard 1984 won’t keep running.
its getting fuel, the jets are clear, the choke is working.
It starts and runs for a second or so then quits.
Please help

Spark is good, did not do compression check but engine starts and runs for few seconds and ran good last season. Only runs for short periods if started with no choke. Also seems to be using allot of gas.

The 1984 70hp does not have a choke... It has a fuel primer solenoid that delivers fuel directly to the intake manifold, bypassing the carburetors.

I assume you are mistaken when you say the jets are clear as fuel obviously is not flowing thru the carburetors!

I rebuilt carborators, it’s getting fuel, it now runs great out of gear. When I’m gear it bogs down at about half throttle

They all run great in neutral or on a trailer.-----That is not a meaningful test at all.----Still more trouble shooting to do.

They all run great in neutral or on a trailer.-----That is not a meaningful test at all.----Still more trouble shooting to do.
I’ve checked out and or rebuilt everything I can think of! Can anyone recommend what else it could be? Electric cos out ok , rebuilt carbs, new fuel pump, all new hoses and replaced tank.
still Boggs down at half throttle.

Sorry -----I am not there to see your work.-----But screwed into the bottom of the carburetor float bowl you will find the high speed jet.----Also called an orifice plug.----It is 5/8" long and way in behind that drain plug.-----If plugged that would be one reason for the motor to bog down.-----Or bring the motor over , I can fix it.-----And find out the issue before running the motor out on the lake.-----Say you have a plugged carburetor you risk serious damage to the motor.

Sorry -----I am not there to see your work.-----But screwed into the bottom of the carburetor float bowl you will find the high speed jet.----Also called an orifice plug.----It is 5/8" long and way in behind that drain plug.-----If plugged that would be one reason for the motor to bog down.-----Or bring the motor over , I can fix it.-----And find out the issue before running the motor out on the lake.-----Say you have a plugged carburetor you risk serious damage to the motor.
Carborators are completely rebuilt , but thank you anyway!

Back