Logo

Warning buzzard

Tides

My 130hp 2 stroke motor's engine warning buzzard started today. Water was coming out of telltale, no smoke, and I had plenty of oil. As soon as I reved up above 2700 rpm the buzzard would quiet. I was able to get home at 4000 with no problem and no buzz. In past when the warning buzz came on it would not go above 2000 rpm. The buzzard sounded as soon as the rpm went below mid 2000 rpm. Ideas?

When does it begin to alarm?

Assuming alarm is not oil level related, if alarm triggers when key is turned to ON, then likely volt issue. Check your starting battery is holding full charge.

When engine will not throttle over 2k with alarm...this is called limp mode, to protect engine from further damage.

Run you engine at the dock and check the temp of the cylinder heads, they should be hot to the touch and not burn you.

Just because it is pissing water........ Possible hung t-stat, if one head is hotter, If both heads are hot, possible stuck open bypass(popit valve)

When does it begin to alarm?

Assuming alarm is not oil level related, if alarm triggers when key is turned to ON, then likely volt issue. Check your starting battery is holding full charge.

When engine will not throttle over 2k with alarm...this is called limp mode, to protect engine from further damage.

Not really. Limp mode indicates to many that one can "limp" home with the motor not running well. Nothing is further from the truth. If and when the buzzer sounds and the motor is running at reduced RPM's the motor should be turned off immediately. If not sooner.

Technically it is known as RPM reduction mode. As to say, to help protect the engine from further damage. But the operator has a big part to play as well.

Many have tried to limp home to their peril.

My 130hp 2 stroke motor's engine warning buzzard started today. Water was coming out of telltale, no smoke, and I had plenty of oil. As soon as I reved up above 2700 rpm the buzzard would quiet. I was able to get home at 4000 with no problem and no buzz. In past when the warning buzz came on it would not go above 2000 rpm. The buzzard sounded as soon as the rpm went below mid 2000 rpm. Ideas?
Low voltage can cause the alarm to sound. Voltage is typically lower anyway at lower RPM's. Voltage increases somewhat as the RPM rises.

I would clean each and every electrical connection. At both ends of the battery cable. The battery terminals. The battery cable attach points on the motor.

The connectors to the CDI. The connection of the 20 amp fuse and the 30 amp fuse within their respective fuse holders.

All grounds on the block. Rectifier/Regulator ground.

As Chris said, poppet valve could be stuck open. Happened to my motor. Buzzer came on at idle.

Last edited:
Thx for all the suggestions. I especially liked the carrion comment :) I've taken out the boat 3 times since the buzzer went off and no more buzz! Low RPM, high RPM, idle...totally quiet! If it buzzes again how do I check for stuck oil sensor? I just want to thank all the forum members for your willingness to help someone who's mechanically challenged.

You might not even have an oil tank with a level sensor, so you should get the service manual for your specific model & year. The manual should describe how to check the level sensor. I've never done it, but I've read some 2-stroke manuals that describe how to test it.

Back