Logo

2003 honda bf200 top speed issues

GVALC

We have a Honda Bf200 on a 26' Apache Sea Master Deck boat. When we first got the boat 8 years ago we would hit speeds of 35MPH. Now presently we can only go 20 MPH. When we have 1-2 people on the boat the Tach reaches 4400 but when we have more people on it the Tach goes up to 6200. With 1-2 people we go 20 MPH with 6-10 people we go 16MPH. You can actually hear the difference in the motor when the tach goes up to the 6200. We have replaced the following, Plugs, Both high and low Fuel Filters, TPS. Fuel Pump. Fuel Regulator. Cleaned screens on bottom of high pressure fuel filter, Throttle Cables(adjusted so fully open when fully engaged). Removed fuel injectors and had them cleaned. Check compression all cylinders good. Motor runs clean and smooth. We run the same size prop as we always have 15 x17. Motor has 780 hours on it. Bought a Dr. Honda Diagnostic kit and it has no codes. What are we missing. Thanks

Last edited:
Not an expert here but 6200 is WOT and even above. Did you replace the prop in the past? Is the prop cavitating or ventilating thus achieving WOT without the speed?

Not an expert here but 6200 is WOT and even above. Did you replace the prop in the past? Is the prop cavitating or ventilating thus achieving WOT without the speed?
Yes we replaced Prop in past. We went on line and purchased the same size that was on the boat previously 15 x 17. Is the a certain brand we should be using Is it possible the hub is damaged(to plastic) and is transferable from prop to prop. We were told the hub either works or doesn't work. We are not having any cavitation or ventilation issues. Thanks for your help

This is extremely unusual, heavier load, higher rpm does not make any sense at all. Might pay to get a good marine mechanic to drive it or at least go with you to see exactly what it's doing

This is extremely unusual, heavier load, higher rpm does not make any sense at all. Might pay to get a good marine mechanic to drive it or at least go with you to see exactly what it's doing
Thanks only 1 Honda mechanic in our area when we tried to get an appointment with him he was 3 month out. That why we tried to ask for help on this forum.

Very strange, either the engine does not output full power and is underpropped, or the hub is slipping? Maybe a weight balance issue? Could explain more RPM with more people. Are you trimming the engine correctly? Do you have trim tabs?

Very strange, either the engine does not output full power and is underpropped, or the hub is slipping? Maybe a weight balance issue? Could explain more RPM with more people. Are you trimming the engine correctly? Do you have trim tabs?
It feels like the engine has more to give especially with lighter loads. We tried a different prop but used the same hub. Been wondering if hub could slip I was thinking that more weight could create more slippage and the slippage raises the RPM. But, was told by the mechanic at my marina the hub either works or doesn't work being plastic? We have tried trimming engine no difference. We do have trim tabs. After reading many forum threads we understand there is a mesh fuel filter in fuel rail could this be an issue? Thanks for your time with this issue

The way I see it is that you would not achieve WOT if it was fuel related. The question is why you achieve WOT with a much lower speed. Did you maintain the same number of blades, pitch and diameter with the prop change?

The way I see it is that you would not achieve WOT if it was fuel related. The question is why you achieve WOT with a much lower speed. Did you maintain the same number of blades, pitch and diameter with the prop change?
Yes we did the same number or blades, pitch and diameter with prop change. In the beginning of the boating season this year the max RPM's we could get no matter how many people were on the boat was 4200 at WOT. With in the last 2 month the RPM has gone up to 6200 with 6 or more passengers. Yesterday RPM with 4 people only went to 5400 same MPH as 8 passengers but 4 MPH less than 2 passengers.we can here the engine accelerate more with a larger load and when the tach goes up to 6200. We thought the Tach might be bad but this is a constant phenomenon it does the same thing all the time and does not bounce. With 2 passengers and 4200 it the engine does not seam to be at full acceleration. When we could only get to 4200 at the beginning of the year no matter what we did we thought the foam in the boat might be open cell and retaining water therefor slowing us down and keeping the RPMs down we were not happy but ok with this situation. But, Now when we have a larger load and get to 6200 not sure its the foam anymore. Thanks

I’d try a new hub and prop and see if there is any change in speed or this weird rpm/speed relationship. It’s like your clutch is slipping but you don’t have one. Check to see your prop shaft is not stripped?

Your mechanic is correct re tye prop hub, once they're destroyed they will not work at all.I think the next move should be to check for water in the hull.

Why would the rpm be lower sometimes with less weight and higher with more? Shouldn’t it max out rpm on all situations if nothing wrong with the outboard or prop?

This is a very unusual situation, I believe in keeping it simple and checking the basics, hull water ingress is common and easy to check

Back