Logo

picking up 8.1's - pallet or cradle idea

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I'm going to be picking up a pair of 8.1's next week. My plan was to put each on a pallet (tied with ratchet straps) and have them dropped into a rented pick-up. A standard pallet is 48"x40" so I should be able to fit both if they go in sideways. The bed 48" x 94" (just a shade under 8')

I did a search though and the "pallets" I see look to be more like cradles that are made for this purpose. Does anyone have dimensions to do this? Do I even need to do this at all if I can keep them upright? I talked to someone at Crusader years ago and the guy told me they used to store them upright, supported by the oil pan all the time.

What about 6x6 or 8x8's, one on ea side supporting the mounts instead? Unfortunately, I don't have access to the engines until I get there.

Any ideas here appreciated.

Bob:

When we did the overhauls a while back, we built a cradle using 2x8's as the stringers, with 2x4 scabs where the mounts are, and plywood gussets.....you can use those installation drawings for the dimensions....and we used the normal lag bolts (shorter versions I think) to hold the engine to the cradle - opposing corners - and used straps to secure the bundles in the truck...

If you don't have the gears, you can cut 2x lumber to fit under the 'wings' of the block, outboard of the flywheels....

Mark - thanks, I'll just do that while I have some time. I don't have anyway to pick up pallets anyway so this might be easier. I need to think of everything since I'll be 200 miles from home. I'll have a good selection of tools with me just in case.

after looking at the drawings again, maybe 2x10's for the cradle....and maybe 5" lags - you can always just use 1/2" bolts and nuts if they are long enough and the cradle lets you use them...

hopefully, there's a forklift or some other form of lift where they are...

as far as extra's, length of chain and some links/shackle to secure to the lifting eye's....a couple of extra docks lines could be handy as well....maybe a sawzall to trim the cradle, and an electric drill with dome bits and driver bits for any screws needed for tailoring....tie downs to keeps things stationary...

Back