Logo

Gearbox Seal - M90A

whaler_warner

Contributing Member
After retreiving boat from the Slipway a lot of oil pooled on the ground from behind the prop, i removed the prop to check the seal and although it doesn't look great its not destroyed like I was expecting. As I can see oil around the propshaft seal its unlikely the leak is from anywhere else and assume its just a case of the two bolts and a puller to remove the carrier?IMG-20190830-WA0000.jpg

Yep. I would do a complete LU seal kit. Good time to also check the water pump, and maybe do that kit as well.

Just to update, I rigged up a pressure tester using an old bicycle pump attached to the fitment on the quicksilver gearbox oil pump (the ones you pump to fill the gearbox with oil) sprayed some soapy water around the seal and pumped up slightly and immediately saw there was a leak in the seal in the pic. I have managed to pull the seal out (carefully so as not to damage the prop shaft) and ordered a replacement along with the o-ring for the bearing carrier. I couldn't find a LU seal pack?
I have got the two bearing carrier bolts out using some heat and now just need to rig up a puller to try and pull the carrier out.

Thanks Paul,

Bit of an issue in that I cant get the carrier out, I rigged up a pulled with do d-shackles, chain and hub puller and put under a fair bit of tension and nothing. I am worried any more will damage the prop shaft / internals. I have soaked in penetrating oil, heated up with a blow torch (not excessively as I don't want to melt the O-rings) and hit with a rubber mallet.

I have managed to pull the outter seal which was leaking completely out and worst case I can just replace this and be done but a I like doing things properly. Also there is a minute amount of play on the prop shaft and not sure if this is normal or whether I have damaged a bearing in the process of pulling, it maybe moves 0.5mm?

Probably hasn't been apart in awhile. Here is what the unit looks like disassembled:
002-21031-2_FIG15.jpg002-21031-2_FIG14.jpg

1/2 mm end play is OK.

Back