Logo

Can I change exhaust manifolds to different style?

terest

I bought a 1987 boat with twin 4.3L V6 Crusaders. It sat for 10 years and the exhaust manifolds on one engine split open due to freezing water and are a total loss.

However for the life of me I can not find replacement manifolds. It is a GM 262cu in engine and I can get other brands of exhaust manifolds such as mercruiser that will bolt on. would that be ok? I know that I would have to adapt the exhaust to fit going to muffler. but just wanted to check if that is what most people do?

BTW the Crusader parts numbers I need are 97484 and 97485. I can get V8 crusader manifolds all day. V6 seems very hard to find. :(

Both engines have been removed and stripped down and going through the rebuild process.

If the manifolds froze, I'd be sure to check the blocks to make sure they didn't suffer the same fate....

you can use another brand of manifold but you need to get the elbows that match. You may have to change the plumbing associated with the manifold/elbow as well....just make sure you get the correct configuration of new parts to make what you need.

You can use another manufacturer, no problem. A company Marine Power makes a high performance version, a company Bar and GLM make aftermarket versions, or you can switch to a merc style (or Volvo style), no problem.

Make sure the exit is lower than the riser to prevent reversion, buy riser extensions if you need to.

Back