Logo

Installing a kicker?s

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
Installing a kicker ?s

Well I’m finding out you don’t just slap a kicker on and call it a day.

Vessel’s hull is aluminum (otherwise I’d have a in hull ducer) 22’ (add 20” main engine bracket) 75” beam 45” transom 1800LBs old pocket cruiser. Right hand rotating prop.Planning on a 20” shaft w/ a 45” transom would a extra/extra long be better.

Undecided on the mount.

I could slap on a tiller quite easliey to my port dive platform.

Was actuelly planning on just port dive platform but then the kicker would obstruct embark disembark also obstruct giant fish landing on plateform this is where I beat on the fishs head.

I’ve picked the 2013+ Suzuki 15HP electronic fuel injection, it’s the same weight as 9.9HP.110LBs

I’m hoping for better performance and no maintenance that’s usually associated w/ carbed engines.

?1.if I go tiller, are there electronic throttle controls devices similar to control king w/ it’s servo attached to the Carbuater linkage that will work w/ EFI engines?

?2.the tiller Suzuki has a friction throttle is this a cruise control? Can the tiller version’s fiction control be operated w/ a tiller extension?

Additionally Port vs starboard mounted kicker for starside transducer.

?3.I'd like to know how much setback will keep the starside mounted kicker engines prop wash from interfering w/ transducer that’s also on starside like is there a rule of thumb.

?4.if I go binnacle (which I’d prefer) confused on rigging a binnacle w/ a garlic type kicker mount like won’t the gear select cable get binded? or are the garlic type mounts only for tillers.

A driveby wire throttle and gear select would be a major convenience but think this is for main larger engines only.

?5.Also thinking the higher the kickers RPMs the larger the prop wash is.usalley troll 4-9MPH I’ve read that the Suzuki 15HP will push a 2300LB sailboat 8MPH at WOT.

?6.I’ve read the merc kickers have a stabilizing strap to keep the kicker from flopping around w/ the Suzuki can expect to still cruise around very fast even in ruff water w/out the kicker bouncing around?

?7.Lastly for right now these securing the kicker to the hull w/ a cable is this for theft prevention or prevent the kicker falling into the sea?

Back