Logo

Tachometer.

Pbtman

I have a 2014 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21’ Signature pontoon with a 2004 Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot 2-Stroke.
The tachometer quit. It never did read correctly, in my book. At w.o.t, the tach would register 3800 rpm. According to my research, it should be 5000-5500.
Anyhow. My quest is to find a tach. Prefer one to match the old one, which also matches the rest of the gauges.(chrome ring, white face with black lettering). Now, according to this websites parts diagrams, it looks like the stator has 12 poles. Also, the Bigfoot is a 3-cylinder. Even the old tach that’s in the boat has settings for either 4, 6 or 8 cylinders and/or settings for 2 to 6 poles. I’m stumped. I’m not finding many tachs that have settings for 10 or 12 poles. I have a “Power Probe” and have tested the + & - terminals on the back of the tach. All good there. I just don’t know how I can create a “send” signal to see if the needle moves. (Bench test) At this time, I’m not able to start the motor. (I need to buy one of those water things that slide over the lower end to hook to a water hose.) (Also, I don’t have a multimeter, yet)
okay. That’s enough rambling. Do any of you have any been-there, done-that advise? Thanks in advance.

Back