Logo

Oil tank and oil level sensor

Mopardaddy

Hey folks,
I have a '96 NS90A and the buzzer goes off constantly when the key is turned on. I'm almost positive that this is due to my oil level sensor needing to be replaced. The sensor fits VERY loosely in the top of the tank and leaks oil. Would this be due to the age of the sensor?My question is: does the oil sensor fit tightly(i'm sure it does) and if so, would the new sensor fit tightly in the old tank or should I just replace the tank as well? I don't want to spend unnecessarily but, don't want to skimp and have to spend later and potentially damage my motor.
Thanks everyone
GOD bless
Mopardaddy

Do you have a Tohatsu tach? Does the oil light come on? If you disconnect the wire to the sensor, the oil alarm will stop. That's a good way to troubleshoot.

Yes, the sensor has o-rings, and should seat tightly.
3B7710201MOIL LEVEL SENSOR$65.58

If your motor serial is below 19698, the old, wide-cap tanks are NLA, but you could get a new tank with the smaller cap.
3B7710102MOIL TANK 90A$108.70

3C8710150MCAP, OIL TANK (FOR 3B7710102M, 3C7710702M, 3T5710100M TANKS)$10.17

You can refer to p62 of your owners manual, available for DL at Tohatsu.com to see what the alarms mean.
Buzzer only with no lamp usually indicates overheat or poor water flow.

Mine often does similar but is the water pressure sensor which will beep for a few seconds until there is water flow and pressure through the coolant system then the alarm stops. I personally disconnected my oil level sensor as the tube bent and IMO oil level checks should form part of your general checks and always kept topped up every couple of trips.

Hey folks,
Thank you for the info, it is much appreciated!! So, if I understand correctly, the oil level sensor, while important, is not a necessity, and as long as I keep the I'm tank filled, which of course, I can disconnect this wire and spend money on other things?
Thanks again!!
GOD bless!

See if you can get new o-rings for the sensor at the hardware store, as you don't want the oil to run out when you tilt.

Back