Logo

280 Outdrive steering turns slightly more one way than the other...?

Walleye4Days

Contributing Member
Ok... So I am baffled at trying to center the steering on this 280 outdrive. It was turning slightly more port than starboard, by about an inch and a half. So, I assumed that the splines were off a spline or two by previous owner, so I reindexed the steering by dropping the steering fork slightly adjusting it one spline over the other direction then reinstall... But, then it was slightly turning a little more starboard than port!

So, I reindexed the steering AGAIN, very carefully, thinking just skipped a spline and this time carefully put it one spline back port... same problem, as now it was turning more this time it was a little more port than starboard! I did this around 8 times before finally calling a buddy over to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. He watched from in the boat with a mirror and bright light as I oriented the steering fork back and forth again, and same results...

Is there something I'm missing or not seeing here with this steering??

Ok... So I am baffled at trying to center the steering on this 280 outdrive. It was turning slightly more port than starboard, by about an inch and a half. So, I assumed that the splines were off a spline or two by previous owner, so I reindexed the steering by dropping the steering fork slightly adjusting it one spline over the other direction then reinstall... But, then it was slightly turning a little more starboard than port!

So, I reindexed the steering AGAIN, very carefully, thinking just skipped a spline and this time carefully put it one spline back port... same problem, as now it was turning more this time it was a little more port than starboard! I did this around 8 times before finally calling a buddy over to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. He watched from in the boat with a mirror and bright light as I oriented the steering fork back and forth again, and same results...

Is there something I'm missing or not seeing here with this steering??

What you have described is typically the problem, and in most cases, what you've done corrects it. I have done the same, and have found that the indexing was the problem.

As you have discovered:
...... the spindle arm incorporates the Port/Stbd steering stops.
...... the spindle arm and collar steering fork shaft are both splined.
...... there are as many potential was to index these as there as splines.

Since you have tried to re-index these and without success, I would disconnect the bell crank arm from the spindle arm, and see if the drive turns equally to Port/Stbd.

If it now turns equally with the linkage disconnected, I would look towards the actual steering cable and/or linkage travel.
Perhaps the cable tube needs to be adjusted right or left, or perhaps the short linkage piece needs to be shortened or lengthened.

View attachment 21604

Last edited:
I'm having trouble doing an edit to post #2.
not sure if my image posted.... here it is again.

AQ series spindle arm and steering components.jpg

Suggestion:
The OEM spindle arm's pinch slot is short, and makes it difficult for the pinch bolt to squeeze the splines onto the collar steering fork shaft splines...... especially after years of usage!
If you pull the spindle arm out again, make the pinch slot a bit longer (saws-all, hack saw, etc).
If you lengthen the pinch slot, the pinch bolt will have a greater compression/squeeze advantage over the slot.

Disclaimer.... while I have done this many times and have had good results, Volvo Penta makes no mention of this.
If you do this, you're on your own.
The spindle arm is cast steel, not cast iron. Very strong and tough!

sheesh.... I still can't do an edit.

Tip: when removing a collar steering fork, make two small punch marks.........., one mark each on both the fork shaft and the spindle arm.
When re-assembling, align the two punch marks.

It's funny you mention to make it longer with a sawsall, because I actually already did that Haha. I made it around 1/2" longer than it already was. I figured with as ridiculously beefy they made that part, it could withstand a little more meat taken out of it Haha.

Back