Logo

25 hp 1977 engine losing power

Johnsonmitc

1977 25 hp 25702h
This motor has a jet unit instead of the regular propeller. I've done some work on this motor and it has been running well the last 2 months I've been running it.
Last Friday I drove it for 40 minutes up river= no issues. Drove it back some and did a bunch of fishing. Started it up and ran for about 5 minutes continuous and all of a sudden I lost a majority of power. I idled down and shut motor off. I checked to make sure nothing was plugged on bottom of jet and it was clear. I still had a good water flow. I started it back up and idled good. I slowly increased throttle and motor sounded ok. I increased to full throttle and boat only went maybe 1/3 speed. I idled back to the landing.

Next day reviewed motor, found that the retainer holding timing plate was a little loose under my flywheel. I took it apart and tightened that up and thought that may be the issue and that the timing wasn't advancing correctly....Took the boat for a 5 minute run with no issues. Shut it off, fished for 15 minutes, started motor back up. Ran motor for 1 minute at full throttle, and all of a sudden loss 1/2 power again. Was hoping that retainer wad loose but that was not the case.

Where to start?? I haven't checked anything at this point. My thought is that it feels like an electronic type of issue and not actual motor issue cause if it was motor/ compression issue, it wouldn't run good the next day. I am wondering if it's a coil or power pack after something warms up on the motor, etc..?? Would that make sense?

Thanks
Mitch

Do a spark and compression test. Are you sure it did not overheat?

I am sure it didn't over heat. As soon as I lost power, I shut down and felt motor... it was warm but no where near HOT.

I did a spark test tonight on both cylinders. They appear to have the same bright spark color on both.

If it would be compression, wouldn't it always have no power, and not run good one day to the next.

Thanks mitch

Back