Logo

2003 Mercruiser 3.0 Starter Noise.

Moonshinejon

Hey guys! Thanks in advance for any info.

I just bought a 2003 Bayliner 175 with a Mercruiser 3.0. I've gone over the entire motor and everything looks good, except for some awful grinding noise when starting the engine cold.

Again this is only during the first start of the boat has been sitting for more than a few hours. When it's warm, it starts right up.

Read all about the starter bolts breaking is a common issue, so I checked that and they are both intact and tight. The relief bracket from the starter to the block is also in place and doing its job.

Battery is new, so I've eliminated the chance the starter isn't getting enough juice upon ignition.

Any other ideas?

The grind sound only lasts a second, and the engine always seems to turn over after the third or fourth attempt when cold.

Thanks!

I believe that motor's starter is adjusted by using shims. If the wrong shims are used that will happen. Also, you absolutely need a bracket in the front of the starter or vibration will snap the bolts off.

Jeff

Jeff,
Starter shims really have not been needed since the '70's....

That would rarely be the issue especially since the starter was NOT replaced.

a bendix going bad will make that same sound or your getting a slight hydro-lock

I'll be honest, I only just found the block and exhaust manifold drains (the blue hoses with the disconnects) and drained them yesterday. About a gallon or two of water came out of them. Could that be the hydrolock you're talking about? I haven't tried to start it since.

Via starter....if water comes out then you found the source of starter noise.
If water, then you have a new issue to resolve

Hey guys,

i just had had an issue with my starter too. I have an 01 searay bow rider with a 3.0L merc. Turns out the outter bolt fell out so I just needed to put a new one in, which I did. However my question is, when I put it back in I feel like I can’t get the bolt to go high enough to be flush against the bottom of the starter. It hangs down below the starter, maybe less than an inch or so, but I’m unsure if it supposed to be like that or not. Any insight would be great!

Hey guys,

i just had had an issue with my starter too. I have an 01 searay bow rider with a 3.0L merc. Turns out the outter bolt fell out so I just needed to put a new one in, which I did. However my question is, when I put it back in I feel like I can’t get the bolt to go high enough to be flush against the bottom of the starter. It hangs down below the starter, maybe less than an inch or so, but I’m unsure if it supposed to be like that or not. Any insight would be great!

Ayuh,.... My guess is the old bolt broke, 'n part of it is still in there,.....

Back