Logo

Spark plug surface corrosion??

mgangell

New poster with a "newbie-type" question.

The specifics: 1948 Gray Marine Phantom Six - 104 engine. Restored several years ago but installed recently in a restored 1948 Resorter. Total run hours thus far, about 6-8. Engine runs well.

The situation: Shortly after running the boat, all the tops of the spark plugs developed a white surface "corrosion" (The plugs are Champion UD16). I have attached two pictures. What is this corrosion? Is it normal? Can it be removed or prevented? The engine is located in an enclosed engine box, but I believe there is adequate ventilation.

attachment.php

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Gray Marine Spark Plug Corrosion.jpg
    Gray Marine Spark Plug Corrosion.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 283
It appears to be mild salt water corrosive action on the spark plug bodies.
Could be that the Champion finishes are prone to this.... I don't know... I don't use Champions!
If the engine runs well, I'd not worry about it.

It appears to be mild salt water corrosive action on the spark plug bodies.
Could be that the Champion finishes are prone to this.... I don't know... I don't use Champions!
If the engine runs well, I'd not worry about it.

Thanks for the reply. The boat is a soft-water boat. It has only been run in freshwater lakes.

Champion isn't the best as far as corrosion resistance plating on their plugs.....

You can likely remove it with a buffing wheel though it may return. To prevent it, you really need a decent plating on the plug's shell....so find a different make of plug or get the champions plated....

A spray on like 'corrosion guard' may work very well but the heat a spark plug sees will likely deteriorate it rapidly....which means frequent re-applications....if you wanna try that, I'd suggest spraying after use after the engine has cooled down...like late Sunday or whenever you depart the lake...

Back