Logo

Mercruiser outdrive limit switch issue

Toyman1111

Good morning all, I have a 1990 Maxum that did not have a trim gauge installed. I just installed a new trim gauge, trim and limit switch sending unit yesterday. The trim gauge works great BUT...
After I conducted all my set points I found that I cant adjust the limit switch for some reason.
The limit switch wiring is original.
I have continuity from inside the hull to the port side limit switch at the outdrive.
All connections are clean.
I loosen the screws and turn the limit switch and I get nothing clockwise or counter clockwise.
Would my issue be at the pump even thought the tilt and trim move up and down fine???
Please help

I loosen the screws and turn the limit switch and I get nothing clockwise or counter clockwise.
Would my issue be at the pump even thought the tilt and trim move up and down fine???

Ayuh,..... use yer meter on the wires as you adjust the switch,..... Does the set-point move,..??

Are the wires inside wired into the trim up circuit,..??

I havent tried my meter on the inside wires to check resistance yet because I was by myself. Dont have enough arms. LOL Im sure I have resistance as its a brand new limit switch.
I do know that the limit switch wires are connected to the factory wire connector one foot into the hull which is route to a factory harness plugged into the pump.

Wait a second you have me thinking. You asked me if all the wires are hooked to the up terminal. I haven't inspected the pump terminals yet. Are there specific posts on the pump/solenoid that the limit switch needs to be connected to? I have a choice to connect all the wires to the up or down post?

Ayuh,..... From yer trim switch, power goes through the limit switch, to the pump,.....

The tilt switch, by-passes the limit switch, 'n goes to the pump instead,.....

Back