Logo

Locating pins between upper and lower units

JHornsby3

So I have a 1977 470 with a #I sterndrive. The shift parts are stripped on my gear drive(lower). The lower was full of metal and it won't shift when it warms up or has been run. So I picked up a 1976 165 complete sterndrive. I pulled the lower and cleaned it up and was going to put it on my upper just to finish out this season and get my lower rebuilt over the winter. Now to my problem. I have the 165 lower clean and ready to install and the locating pins are in my upper. And the 165 has the pins in the lower. I can't get either to come out of the cases so I can put it together. Has anyone ever had to remove these locating pins and can give me some advise on how to remove them. I would prefer to remove the ones from the lower seeing as it's already off the boat.

Thanks,

John

Ayuh,..... They're pressed in, originally, probably corroded in now,......

Best answer I've got is use vice-grips to work 'em out,....

Ayuh,..... Try alittle heat, 'n pen-oil,.....

Just be careful,.....
Aluminum disappears before it changes color, like steel,....

You haven't ruined your mole wrench, you have purposed them
More curved surface area to grasp the pins. Heat/cool heat/cool cycles
Let expansion contraction cycles work for you.

Just got them out. Tapped them with a hammer then a little heat. Put my new locating pin vise grips on and they popped right out. I just hope this well broke in lower will fix the shifting issue until I can get the original one rebuilt.

Thanks guys. Nice to see folks are not afraid to post on this forum, unlike others out there on the ol interwebs.

John

Back